Cuba in November??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krissydt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are thinking of going to Cuba in November. Reviews seem to say that Cayo Coco is one of the better locations for diving in Cuba. Does anyone have any feedback on Cayo Coco? We are also considering Breezes Jibacoa in Veradaro since it is quite a bit less expensive. If anyone has any recommendations or feedback as to what we could expect from either of those locations it would be greatly appreciated.

Trust me when i say this stay in a 5+ resort or you will pay for not doing so. Something always is wrong. Also never ever trust the DM they are fools there. Only depend on your dive buddy and what you were taught by PADI.

We're thinking of Cuba in October or November so I'm interested in any feed back.

Cheers !

Personally, the best dive destination in Cuba is Cayo Largo.

Cayo Largo is a small island south of the mainland, accessible only by plane. BUT there is basicaly nothing else to do on the island besides long walks on the beach or getting a tan.

I have also been to both Varadero and Cayo Coco. If Cayo Largo is not in your plans, Cayo Coco is the next best destination.

In Cayo Coco, I was diving with Cayo Coco dive center located on the beach at Tripp Cayo Coco resort. DMs are very friendly and fun to dive with.

Also never ever trust the DM they are fools there. Only depend on your dive buddy and what you were taught by PADI.

Are you talking about the DMs in Cayo Coco ?

I've been there 4 times and they are not that bad !!!

Scuba diving in Cuba is .... special !! If you're an unexperienced diver going to Cuba, it will surely be an adventure !!

Add us to the list of those planning to go to Cuba in November.

We are going with 3 or 4 couples, but only the boys dive. I've been to Isla Juventud and found the diving there very good, so expect that Cayo Largo would be similar. The prices reported on other threads for the diving there do seem quite high for Cuba, though.

I have heard good reports about the diving at Santa Lucia, but it would be interesting to hear comments from divers who can compare it to Cayo Coco and Cayo Largo from personal experience. Shark Tamer, did you get to Santa Lucia? How was it?

Thanks,

Andy

I've been to Isla Juventud and found the diving there very good, so expect that Cayo Largo would be similar. The prices reported on other threads for the diving there do seem quite high for Cuba, though.

Thanks,

Andy

Isla de la Juventud is not very far from Cayo Largo, but not that close so they dive the same sites. Water in Cayo Largo is usually very clear ... viz averages 20-40 meters. I never dove Isla, but I guess it should be much the same clear water.

Regarding the price, it is true that diving there was very expensive ... 55$US a dive with no package deals available. Because of that, many divers avoided returning to Cayo Largo.

Because so many divers complained and did not returned, prices have gone down since the beginning of 2010. I was there last April ( 2010 ) and the price for 1 dive was 35$US, with package deals available.

I have heard good reports about the diving at Santa Lucia, but it would be interesting to hear comments from divers who can compare it to Cayo Coco and Cayo Largo from personal experience. Shark Tamer, did you get to Santa Lucia? How was it?

Thanks,

Andy

I was in Santa Lucia in the summer of 2009. Dive sites were average ... most of the dives I did were shallow coral sites.

On the other hand, the shark dive is simply awesome ... NOT TO BE MISSED if you go there and not afraid of 4 meter bullsharks swimming around you !!!!

DM's at the center there ( Sharky's Friends ) are very friendly and experienced.

If I could compare the 3 destinations, Cayo Largo is hands down my first pick because of dive sites, DMs are very very experienced and for those who are not experienced divers, pre-dive briefings will let you know these guys really love diving and let you know you're in good hands.

Cayo Coco is my second choice. Dive sites are much more diversified than Santa Lucia. When in Cayo Coco, I was diving with Coco Dive center situated at Tripp Cayo Coco Resort. DMs are experienced. Make sure you interact with the staff there ... everybody is a party mood. Don't get me wrong, they don't monkey around, but to them a day of diving should not be a boring day !!!

I have been to Cayo Largo 6 times, Cayo Coco 4 times and only once to Santa Lucia.
I will definitly go back to Cayo Largo soon :wink::wink:, probably go back to Cayo Coco :cool2:, but I don't think I'll go back in Santa Lucia.

But again, never say never !!!

Thanks for the great info Shark_Tamer, this is very helpful! My husband and I love to see big creatures when we dive so the shark dive sounds great! Is there much big stuff in Cayo Largo or Cayo Coco?

Thanks again for the info!

My husband and I are thinking of going to Cuba in November. Reviews seem to say that Cayo Coco is one of the better locations for diving in Cuba. Does anyone have any feedback on Cayo Coco? We are also considering Breezes Jibacoa in Veradaro since it is quite a bit less expensive. If anyone has any recommendations or feedback as to what we could expect from either of those locations it would be greatly appreciated.

Breezes Jibacoa isn't in Varadaro. It is about an hour west. We were there in June of 2002. It was a very nice resort, but it was brand new when we went. You are pretty much in the middle of nothing. There is only one spanish resort to the left. The diving was good. There wasn't any big stuff but the reefs were good. Cayo Coco is in the Atlantic Ocean so rough water can be a problem. We stayed at Iberostar Daiquiri on Cayo Guillermo in March, and there was only one day that the red warning flag wasn't posted at the beach.

We were looking at Cayo largo for this Nov., but our Travel Agent said that the Canadian airlines only fly there during the high season. If we went in Nov. we would have to fly Cubana air which has the worst safety record in the world?

Very helpful info Shark tamer! I think Cayo Largo will get the nod.

Does anyone have current contact info for the dive operator there? There was an e-mail address on another thread, but my message bounced back "undeliverable".

In November Canjet does Sunday departures from Toronto (late in the day via Santiago; lands back in Toronto at 0200 Monday!)

If you have concerns about Cubana, I believe the Cubana flights to and from Canada are flown with leased, Irish registered A320s captained by a "Nigel" or "Dieter" on contract, so the operation is European or North American standard.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom