Dive Report: Va Beach - Tiger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Had Kevin (Kevin_K) and Randy (Randy g) aboard for a trip to the Tiger. We experienced a small amount of chop heading to the wreck but made great time covering the 20nm from Little Creek to the Tiger. The Tiger rest about 6nm off SandBridge in 60-65ft of water. She foundered while under tow back to Norfolk during WWII and was later demolished. Though a victim of the WWII wrecking crew, the Tiger wreck has much to offer. The highest part of the wreck are her boilers, located amidship, they clearly define the differing portions of the the wreck. Aft (South) of the boilers the wreck is very low-lying, mostly a debris field without significant relief. Forward of the boilers (North) the wreck has a large amount of wreckage, steel plates, hull beams protruding upward, and many great locations to find flounder, sea bass, and tautogs. The forward end of the wreck is the place to be!

We hooked the wreck forward of the boilers and adjusted the anchor scope to place our vessel directly over the boilers. Kevin and Radny made the first dive and explored the forward section of the wreck. Visibility was estimated at 10ft with a small amount of surge. Temps were wonderful; 76deg on the surface and 74deg on the bottom! Visbility limits had Kevin and Randy working the wreck reel while exploring the Tiger. Their first task was tying us in the the wreck.

I made my dive and decided to use an underwater sonar unit to navigate around the wreck. Though I'd been on Tiger many times, I hadn't dove her in a number of years. About half way through my dive I looked down at my sonar receiver and found it telling me the transponder was out of the water (not true), and that I was 176ft from where I placed it. Thankfully, each time I check my tank pressures, I also make note of the distance and bearing back to the transponder. I set my compass heading and away I went. I soon found the boilers and saw the transponder still hanging from the equipment line. I already had two nice flounders so I made my ascent and climbed back in the boat.

Kevin and Randy jumped in for their second dive and not long after they were down I saw from the boat two distinct bubble trails....NOT heading in the same direction. I soon had Randy surface next to the boat to let me know he'd lost sight of Kevin and that he'd be on the starboard side near the boilers. Just after he'd descended, I saw Kevin's lift bag (not surface marker) on the surface with a sizeable area of bubbles around it (hanging about 20ft down vice on the bottom). I knew Kevin was making a wreck-reel ascent with his lift bag and was tied into the wreck (textbook method to let someone know you're coming up AND stay tied to the wreck). He soon surfaced and gave me the OK sign. In low visibility conditions it always good to have a plan if you get separated from you buddy. Kevin and & Randy did it exactly by the numbers.

On my second dive I was tasked to float the wreck anchor free. I planned to "fly over the wreck" after attaching my lift bag. I was diving with double 112's and going solo for my dives. After repeatedly clearing the chain from the debris field, I decided to float the bag, anchor, and chain to the surface. I did my safety stop on the anchor chain while drifting with the boat. I must give Kevin credit on his tie-in; it was perfect!

So was the day diving with Kevin and Randy. The winds backed off n the afternoon and the seas settle to a small 2ft swell. In all it was a great day to be off Va Beach diving the Tiger.

We also happened on another group of divers out of Rudee Inlet. When we arrived on the wreck the SEA DREAMS with Capn Dave had already hooked into the wreck. It was great talking with them and Dave swam over to our boat to see how my side scan works as we moved into position to hook the wreck.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Great report Will.

This was a first time in many ways for me, diving the Tiger. The day started out heading to work at 0630 aka "dark thirty" to finish up some grout work so I could get out and dive with Wil on Freedom. I met Will and Kevin at the dock with both of them grinning and hollering a hardy Good Morning, in anticipation of the days dives. Once the anchor was dropped a dive plan was worked up with Kevin and we backflipped into the warm water. Once I reached the anchor, I tied in with my wreck reel (first time for me running a wreck reel) and went about getting my bearings and waiting for Kevin to decend. We headed north on the first run. Swimming over a nice battered wreck with tons of holes, girders and metal plates that looked like it would make nice hiding places for lobstah, although the little bugs were hiding out and sleeping under the mid day sun. We turned and Kevin showed me the proper buddy technique for helping with a wreck reel. (Sorry Bobby next time I will be alittle more helpful when you run a reel:wink:. ) Upon returning to the tie in we headed south on the wreck back to where the wreck flattens out passing the boilers but never seeing them in the murky 5-10 foot vis.

Second dive I was alittle more familiar with things and went exploring the southern end of the wreck. About halfway down the line I pointed out to Kevin a huge toad fish and kept on heading south. That was my last contact with him. At my turn point I headed back stopping every 10-15' to look for him. No Kevin! Made it back to the tie in point, accended to tell Will that Kevin was off the line and asked him for my speargun. There were some really nice Sheepshead swimming around the boilers and I wanted some! I decended and had 3 great shots at the big fish but everytime I pulled the trigger the line that is tied into the shaft cought the eye at the end of the gun and stopped the spear from leaving the gun. I was frustrated to say the least!!:idk: This was the first time using the little gun and first time hunting underwater and it failed me the first 3 tries. So I swam around and played with some smallish flounders, watched a trigger (that Will would later bag) play bad ass protecting his territory. I accended leaving my wreck reel tied in, incase Magellon aka Kevin found his way back to the line and when I surfaced next to the boat, lo and behold I found his smiling face looking over the side at me.

Today was a great day to be diving off VB and there were a few check boxes ticked off of my list of things to learn. First time on the Tiger, first time running a reel, first time spearing (or at least attempting to spear) It is great to be diving with such an experienced group of guys. I listen, watch and learn everytime I go out and feel very fortunate to be around them, especially on a day like today...... 9/11 happened not long ago and today diving off of FREEDOM really made me feel alive, blessed and the world, at least for today, was pretty damn good.:D

Great report Guys. I enjoyed diving with you Randy. I never would have known that was your first time running a reel if you you didn't tell me.
Although the vis was crappy it was nice to be in some warm water for the whole dive vice hitting the thermalcline between 50 and 70 feet and dropping from temps in the 70's down to the 40's.
When randy pointed out the Toad fish I dropped down to see what he was pointing at and let go of the line....I didn't give the soupy vis enough credit....I shouldn't have let go of the line....:no: I looked around 360 deg and up and no Randy :idk:. I couldn't fine the reel line either. I waited around for a few minutes for Randy and looked for the line. No line, no Randy, no worries. So I did what I was trained to do and tried to back track to the boilers where he tied off which was approx 20' from the anchor. Now the crappy vis gets full credit as I couldn't find the boilers. Gas was not an issue and tried a little longer to no avail. I was confident Randy was ok and he the the reel so I decided to shoot the bag and you know the rest. Thanks for a great day of diving guys. Hope you enjoyed the flounder Will :cool2: God Bless.

Kevin

Thanks for the reports, I'm glad you guys had some good dives. Me? I was at a car show.

Back
Top Bottom