Bahia Principe Dive Shop Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Day
I stayed at the Bran Bahia Akumal /Tulum. I learned to dive in a variety of pools over the last few years. I was scared to death to actually dive in the ocean. Jeff (the instructor) taught me and went with me on my first dive in the ocean and to Manatee cenote. He was great. His brother Matt (instructor) Santiago (instructor as well as the manager and the owner were all wonderful. I did the certification course (1st llevel) and will go back in February to complete the second level. They were all really nice people, very attentitive and very safe. You will have agood time if you go there. I actually spent some time with Christian and Santiago and taught boxing. They gave me a disk of my diving and the owner gave me a dive shop hat. GO HERE AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID.
Al

We were there 3 years ago and I did my certification with Bahia Divers. I was the first student of a new instructor and wasnt really impressed. I had already been diving a few times as an uncertified diver, and a long time ago was a lifeguard, so was comfortable in the water. I retook my OWD course with my daughter just 1 month ago, so can compare the 2 courses.

My training, other than the pool sessions were all self study. My test was unsupervised except for the handing it in part. There was no real questions to ensure that I understood what I was reading.

Pool instruction was good, but not as good as the local shop.

OWD's complete disaster. The water was extreamly rough so we went out on the first "available" day. We probably shouldnt have gone out. People were getting sea sick. The boat was made up of 3 groups, a drift dive, some other training, and me and my instructor.

My instructor and I were the last to leave the boat. Because of the rough sea, people were having trouble getting to the descent line. One lady started to freak out. (all she really had to do was put her reg in, but she was paniced and in a little trouble. I ended up helping the other DM calm her down and get her back in the boat. not the easiest task. When I looked around, my instructor/dive buddy was nowhere to be found. She had done the descent without me. Once the DM, now on the boat with the freaked out lady managed to calm her down, he agreed to do the descent with me. All this time, my instructor calmly sat on the bottom waiting for me?

Now if I was an instructor/DM etc and I had "lost" my buddy in rough seas for over 5 min, I would begin to think something was wrong? Maybe it is my student that got freaked out in the waves? Maybe equip trouble? Nope, better to wait on the bottom for a new diver to do the descent by themselves. Visibility was very poor, 15 feet max.

The rest of the dive went OK, and I passed. Upon redoing the course when my daughter wanted to start diving, I realized that my training was more about the money I paid for the course vs provide good training.

I also realize that this is only 1 instructor, and I am to blame as I should have requested someone else.

I have heard good things about the Bahia divers, and the snorkle trip to cozumel we did as a family on the same holiday was great. Different leader though.

So, my point is this. I think it is more about the individual DM than the shop in general. I can bet the turnover is high. AND if you end up with someone you are uncomfortable with, I would now request someone else at the drop of a hat.

I'm looking at this resort and dive op. Any more reviews would be appreciated. I would want to dive 3 days, 2 tanks ea day. I want either one day in the cenotes and 2 in the ocean or 2 in cenotes and 1 in the ocean. Any input? Good choice, bad choice? Can the dive shop handle my request?

We are staying at Dreams Resort at Akumal the week before Christmas. This thread helped a lot. Any current updates would really be appreciated as we try to determine which outfit to use for diving. We just certified our 10 yr old grandson and 13 yr old granddaughter and this will be there first blue water diving so we want them to have a good experience.

Kentucky Bob.... Last time I was with them was last May. They send out deeper ocean dives every morning and shallow reef dives every afternoon. Cenotes are as close as 4 minutes down the street so they send trips daily there too. They book Coz trips on certain days and you must sign up well in advance because they have to book onto another Ops boat. My wife and I have stayed at that resort about 6 times and we sent our daughter there on her honeymoon. So all I have to say about the place is : STAY away.....IT Sucks.... It is a rip off.. < BIG GRIN> We like it there. I like the convenience of having the Dive shop at the hotel and I also like the fact that you can leave your gear in a locker at the dive shop and take the key. If you hang your wetsuit and bc out to dry they will stow it for you when it is dry. I had an issue a few years back with them and promised to never dive with them again however after discussing it with one of the owners I am a repeat customer again. One reason that hotel is on our favorite list because of it being so close to Akumal. My wife has to snorkel Yal-ku lagoon every trip weather we are staying in Puerto Moralos, Playa, Xpu ha, or Akumal.
If you dive with them say hi to the Texicans for me.

Danny..... Any Dive operation in the Akumal area will fill your need. It would be very hard to find a bad work said about any of them. If going up toward Puerto Aventuras is not out of the question then you may want to contact Scuba Boards own Dennis Weeks. His user name is Pez de Diablo. I have not met Dennis but from what I hear he is a great guide and instructor, can walk on water, leap over tall buildings, and can birth babies too.

I'm going in December/January, I'll be at GBP Akumal, any recommendation on cenote and reef dives?
I think in Jan. it's bull shark season, any precaution in this area, is it dangerous?
ThX¡¡

Yes, it's shark season in Playa dl Carmen but if you keep out you won't mess it up. Anyway I think that @BP you can even dive with bull sharks, am I right? hahaha Anyone can confirm ?

Thought an update might be in order.

I have just returned from GBP Akumal and did a 2 tank cenotes dive with Scubaquatic who are the resident dive shop on site at GBP.
While not the cheapest dive ($125 for 2 tanks) I was very happy with everything and considering transport and admission to the centotes wasn't upset at the price (standard Hawaii 2 tank cost)

Lucio was the DM and treated us as divers and not cattle or noobs. Help was provided where needed (some of the younger divers were fresh out of OW dive school in Hawaii so this was a new experience).

Obviously you can't have too many on a cenotes dive as there is a 4 dive max (plus DM). As my first cenotes dive I thought it was handled in a professional way, safe without being over-bearing.
We dove Dos Ojos and the Bat Cave which was pretty surreal and a real WOW experience.
I'm impressed I didn't have a panic attack or suffer claustrophobia..:D

I would have no issues going with this outfit again.

I don't know the relationship between Bahia Divers and Scubamatic.
Most of the signs at GBP have been changed to reflect the new name (operating since 2007) but some still have the old Bahia Divers name & logo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom