Diving North of Mendocino? Humboldt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with an earlier post. The North Coast is the last pristine dive destination left in Ca and NOBODY wants to give up their secret spots. I've been ab diving/spearing up here for 5 years and I had to find all my honey holes on my own. 10 inch abs and 30 pound lings can be found with ease. Even having lived in Eureka/Arcata for 8 years people still wouldn't take me out to their spots. That being said just get in the water and explore. Kelp is always a good sign.

I am looking at a job in Humboldt so I hit the PADI site and I don't see any PADI shops in Eureka or Arcata areas. Where do divers go for their fills, maintenance etc...

BL, two things. First, it's ALL NAUI here. Second, there are only two places to get fills in Humboldt right now. The first is HSU and you gotta be enrolled in a SCUBA course to even THINK about getting those. And the other is Pro Sport Center, outdoor store with a couple isles of overpriced gear and an airfill station. But they are almost NEVER hiring and a little shady sometimes. We used to have Pacific Quest in Arcata and Juan and Luke were awesome, but it's such a low volume industry up here they had to close their Arcata store. It's sad to say but the majority of divers here get their cert and equipment here then head to Cozumel. There are a few of us die-hards who do more freediving than not locally and many actually head to Ft. Bragg (2.5 hrs south). Sorry to pop your bubble, but that's just the way it is behind the redwood curtain. If your thinking about a dive career up here, DON'T.

Thanks El Dude. No, my career is in another field but I am a PADI instructor and it sounds like there isn't much call for that skill. I was just looking for an LDS to establish a relationship with. Great deals may be found on the web but I still want to talk to a guy behind a counter when it comes time to make my purchases.

Thanks again.

Bigfrog23,

Are the wash rock and the pinnacles south of the wreck you are referring to above south of the main sand channel as well? I have dove the wreck a few times, but I am not familiar with the pinnacles you are talking about. I would love to see them!

Thank you,

Matthew

The pinicals start about 100 to 150 yards out side or the wash rock basically to find them u will need to swim all the way out to the wash rock go down the ocean side of the rock and head out from there. On the bottom there is a fin/crack and u take a Bering off this u it will take u out on to sand for a bit but if u took the right Bering u should come across the rocks. It's way out there I would say that it is 400+ yard off shore. If u do find them and want u can go strait in foe them and go across the sand on ur way in and see some of the old lumber left from the lumber trade.

Anyone know of worthy dives north of Mendocino? Seems like people only talk about Monterey Here.

Ive done some diving in Mendocino but its such a long drive from my home in Eureka, so i don't get in the water as often as i would like to. What about Patrick's Point or College Cove? Please share your Experiences diving on the Northern Parts of the North Coast for all to enjoy.

Cheers!!

Here's something that might help: northcal

so who is going to dive there? im a game:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom