Clown Triggerfish off Boca/Delray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchsea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw this Clown Trigger ( Balistoides conspicillum) off Delray/Boca today. Hope it's not the start of another exotic invasion.

Attachments

• PICT0120.jpg
    PICT0120.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 566
Here's a thought, instead of focusing on gigging exotic invaders on the reef, why not try to nail the idiots releasing their pets in the first place? I bet just one incident would make a strong impression on short sighted aquarium hobbyists all over. Might as well throw in the guys releasing the tens of thousands of pythons into the SE/Everglades too.

For how many centuries have we intentionally or accidentally introduced foreign exotics species all over the world without much of a care for long term impacts?

mn_gator_python_19y45.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1006_051006_pythoneatsgator.html

Yeah, this was definitely released by an aquarist. They are really aggressive, especially at that size. The fool probably thought he was doing the humane thing by "letting it go". Ironically, the fish is probably worth well over $200 for someone with a very large aquarium or it could have been donated to a public aquarium. They are not the prolific breeders that Lionfish are, so that is good.
I'm an aquarist (responsible one) as well as a diver and marine science teacher and I hate to say it....but I see some serious restrictions on the hobby unless there is some real education. But just like any other hobby,activity or sport you have a percentage of people that just ruin it for the rest with their ignorance.

I thought it was pretty strange to see a fish of that caliber as well. It is odd that someone would have released it versus trying to sell it.

Perhaps a campaign is in order to have aquarium stores display information or even hand it out with purchases regarding the dangers of introducing exotic species into our waters.

It goes a bit deeper than that as well. "Most" aquarium or pet shops will tell you anything to get a sale. Very few people research the characteristics and needs of the specimens they purchase before plunking down the cash. Even more disturbing than exotics getting released, are the amount captured and dying in transport, die in shop, or shortly after the sale due to stress or disease. Most of the places where these exotics come from are very poor countries where there are no regulations or safe capturing practices in place. The reefs are dynamited, and/or chemicals used to capture specimens resulting in total devastation of habitats.

I think an outright ban on the importation/ownership of exotic species would be more beneficial overall. I am a responsible aquarist as well, I think this option would put the more focus on captive breeding and sustainable practices.

We can't even get people to spay or neuter their cats and dogs. How could we possibly enforce in-home aquarists? Door-to-door sting operations?

Even more disturbing than exotics getting released, are the amount captured and dying in transport, die in shop, or shortly after the sale due to stress or disease. Most of the places where these exotics come from are very poor countries where there are no regulations or safe capturing practices in place. The reefs are dynamited, and/or chemicals used to capture specimens resulting in total devastation of habitats.

I think an outright ban on the importation/ownership of exotic species would be more beneficial overall. I am a responsible aquarist as well, I think this option would put the more focus on captive breeding and sustainable practices.

Totally agree with you. In my MUCH younger years I worked in a marine aquarium store. It was so depressing to witness how many fish and invertebrates die in transport and become stressed to near death living in crowded conditions at importers and retailers. They are doing some amazing things locally at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Center with regard to breeding of ornamental fish. Hopefully the work expands to keep up with demand.

Hi Mitchsea,
George Burgess is tracking invasive species. It would be great if you could send him a high res photo of your find.
his -mail is: George Burgess <gburgess@flmnh.ufl.edu>
and his address is:
George H. Burgess, Coordinator of Museum Operations,

Director, Florida Program for Shark Research

Curator, International Shark Attack File & National Sawfish Encounter Database

Florida Museum of Natural History

University of Florida

Dickinson Hall, Museum Road

PO Box 117800

Gainesville, FL 32611, USA

Thanks, Anne

I don't suppose this guy will sit still while you spear him like a lionfish will?
Hell, I've seen videos where someone speared 5 lionfish (one at a time) that were sitting tightly in a group.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom