Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp Rat

Reaction score
Ok, I've been a bad, bad Rat. I dive solo without a pony. I figure it just a matter of time before something happens and I'll see the errors of my ways. But I really do not know what I want out of a pony. I have the regs ready for it. a scuba pro mk2 and r190. But what size would be good and mounting the thing? I have a Genesis Recon BC with the 75lb blatter, it has the double bands for the tank and enough D rings to mount almost everything I carry in my truck.
What I'm looking for and tell me if I'm wrong is a bottle that I can detatch. And make it 60' to the surface and enough to dodge boat traffic and/or a intanglement. I'm leaning towards a 40cf but am a little worried about, weight, and how to carry that. Same with the 30cf. I really would like the 30cf if I could carry it ok.
So what size would work good with a sling and do you like slings? And what other type of pony carriers would you recommend. Please make up my mind for me.

Until recently I dived with a 15l single and no pony but, as I dive in UK waters (i.e. cold) and have had a 1st stage freeflow at 30m on the above kit, I decided that a bit of redundancy was in order. I don't dive using a standard 3l pony setup but prefer to dive with my single 15l and a side slung 7l bottle filled with the max nitrox mix allowable for the bottom depth I'm diving.

My reasoning?

1. When diving cold water an octo is for all intents and purposes, useless (get a freeflow in cold water and it is probably in your 1st stage thereby making your octo prone to exactly the same problem.
2. The nitrox can be used as a deco gas (the bottle is large enough and, with the mix being correct for the max depth, I can use it in a bail-out scenario
3. (And this is the naughty bit), after going deep, I can shallow out and use the bottle as an independent twin set.

I sidesling the 7l bottle on my BC using the upper and lower D rings on my right hand side so everything is in reach and can be removed under water.

I may get some sidelooks from other divers on the dock but it works for me and is a damn sight more practical than a tiny 3l cylinder.

S Rat,

I've dove all sorts of adventure with and without Ponies, The big question is what type of diving do you do? If it's just pleasure viewing, then a 19 cuft is great using a "x-bracket" or similar device. If you into wreck and or deco diving, then I'd do like me and use a 30 cuft slung under my left arm. Dive training magazine had an excellent article on how to rig the sling in an issue last summer/fall. basically the valve face point forward so the knob can be turned with your right hand. The latch-bolt clip should attach to a d- ring somewhere near you collar bone and the bottom clip woul be near your kidney. Things to remember, shift some weight to the right to balance. It's a little akward the first two or three dives, but become second nature. Also, it difficult to put in on out of the water, but under, it's not hard. Practice in shallow water removing the bottle and putting it back on. Also, I usually "charge the system" the shut the valve back off. This keeps the system dry, but does leave the potential of freflowing you gas away. Every few minutes, I Check the mini- SPG to see the "charge" status, if the charge is below 1500 psi, then recharge and remember to check for leaks (o-ring or 2nd stage) to correct them later. A tight ysytem will not leak more than 200-300 psi over an hour dive. If doing a giant stride from a high deck, remember to clamp your arm over the cylinder so the splash down doesn't give you a busted nose/mask. Enjoy your dives with a new sense of security!!!!

PS: I use the same setup for mine SP MK2/R190 and it last me about 30 minutes at 15-20 feet hanging on the deco line.

Randy

A 30cf should give you plenty of gas to get from any rec depth (100ft or less) to the surface at a 30 ft/min ascent rate and a safety stop at 15-20ft.

A 40 would probably be overkill (some would argue that a 30 might be overkill as well).

I guess it depends on what you'll be using it for. If you think you'll be doing tech/deco diving at some point, a bigger 30 or 40CF might be nice to have to use as a deco bottle.

Try this for pictures if rigging it as a stage.
http://www.northeastdir.com/gearpage1.htm

Thanks guys. That is the kind of info I was looking for. I'm not sure what I'll be getting into down the line but having the equipment to do it sure makes it easier.

My favorite is a 30. I know for a fact that it will bring you up from 165', it's small and tucks in closely. For the type mount that you are talking I would recommend a tight sidemount, (if you want access to the bottle itself). I usually wear my behind, to one side, with a small counterweight on the opposite side of my tank. Just like a twelve gauge shotgun.....they make a great silent partner.

If you are going to dive solo, wouldn't it be better to dive with a pair of tanks such as steel twin 7's 8's or 10's, it gives you redundancy and you carry air on the back not lead ballast. The tanks can be used as singles, when diving with a buddy or instructing or practising in the pool. I accept you won't be as stream lined as a single and a second tank will cost you slightly more than a pony but the bi annual test costs the same, and you still need two regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom