Florida offshore oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He didn't say it was OK. He said it didn't change his mind that we needed to tap into those resources. For sure this is a disaster for many many reasons. But as I said before, bad things happen. We learn from them, we adjust, we press on.

Yes, no doubt we will.

But at what cost? Who pays the piper?

We might pay a bit more for our shrimp dinner, but hundreds (if not thousands) of oil soaked sea birds will pay with their lives, so too will the marine turtles, how many dolphin and manatees will suffer lingering deaths. Not to mention the fragile eco system of filter feeding molluscs and delicate plant life.

Usually its the least of us who settle the bill, the seal cub who gets clubbed so we can wear fur, the elephant who is maimed and dies in a trap so we can buy ivory, the turtles who drown in shrimping traps, the marine birds and creatures who must die so we can drive, the bears who are baited for bile........!

Are these innocent deaths a fair trade off?

No, I dont think so.

Maybe, when workers employed by a company that willfully violates safety standards die, there should be criminal charges. Not talking white collar criminal treatment either...just sayin.

First I have to admit that I haven't read this entire thread, so my apologies ahead of time if I'm repeating what has already been said.

The current tragedy is certainly unfortunate. Drilling oil is a very complex business that usually involves a large number of different companies working on one project with as many as 20 different ones working on-site at any given point in-time. Equipment is purchased or leased and services contracted. It's a monster, but people sincerely try to do a good job, are professional and well-meaning.

The second thing that I want to mention, is that regardless of how many safeguards are in-place, Murphy's Law always seems to wiggle its way in from time-to-time. The Deepwater Horizon rig was one of the world's premier ultra-deepwater platforms.

A blow-out can occur at any time and has threatened oil workers since the industry started. Something like 40 of these have occurred in the GOM in the past five years. Some papers have reported that this well lacked a remote-control shutoff device, which is untrue. The appropriate safety precautions were in-place; however the system malfunctioned (the shear ram) for whatever reason.

I'm not defending anyone here, but drilling for oil can be a risky business. I'm sure that this is something that we all know, but we also want to drive our vehicles (which in themselves pollute our environment).

As hindsight is perfect, I expect that there will be a steady stream of reports on what should have been done. We will learn from our mistakes and move forward, until Murphy raises his ugly head once again.

BP to its credit has stated that it will pay for the damage. Unfortunately no amount of money will replace the lives that have been lost. My prayers to the loved ones of those that have been killed and injured.

Yes, no doubt we will.

But at what cost? Who pays the piper?

We might pay a bit more for our shrimp dinner, but hundreds (if not thousands) of oil soaked sea birds will pay with their lives, so too will the marine turtles, how many dolphin and manatees will suffer lingering deaths. Not to mention the fragile eco system of filter feeding molluscs and delicate plant life.

Usually its the least of us who settle the bill, the seal cub who gets clubbed so we can wear fur, the elephant who is maimed and dies in a trap so we can buy ivory, the turtles who drown in shrimping traps, the marine birds and creatures who must die so we can drive, the bears who are baited for bile........!

Are these innocent deaths a fair trade off?

No, I dont think so.

You are mixing apples and oranges.

Back
Top Bottom