CoCo View Resort Review - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report and am glad to hear that you love Roatan and the diving on the South side as much we do........we go often and stay just accross the canal from you......we take the direct flight on Continential out of Houston Texas and we have never had a problem with them....suggest that you look into Continential for your next vist to Roatan and Cocoview
That was the flight that DELTA routed us to... It was quite nice. :)

We had some problems with luggage and delays on Delta last month when we went to fantasy Island. Unfortunately out of Georgia Continental doesn't work as there is an over night layover in Texas coming and going... and it is quite a bit more expensive...
Yeah Delta needs to get it together. Our luggage got routed Continental coming and going!!! Guess out bags got a litttle extra vacation.
Hope they took care of you for your delays etc....
Lynn

Kingscrab and FinniMinni, I was also there the same week as you guys and was acutally on the same boat with FinniMinni and got the AWESOME experience of diving with those dolphins she was talking about. Yes, Mark and Gringo, our DM and captain did an excellent job of keeping the dolphins with our boat so we could see them under water once we got in. Mark and Gringo did an excellent job all week. And the whole dive operation is indeed a great setup. I don't think for a land based operation it can get any easier than Cocoview.

I was a little worried about jellyfish before I went down there but it didn't even seem to be an issue at all. Not once did I hear about any recent stingings, etc.

I actually did get stung by a jelly fish during this week. Even though I had my full wetsuit on it got me on the neck. I had 3 big welps on my neck for the rest of the day. That was my first time getting stung by one. What a shocker under water when you get zapped! But hey, I lived.

ZIPLINE: My wife got a cold one day so we did the Pirates of the Carribean zipline tour instead of diving. It was an hour of pure AWESOME. Scary as hell and every bit as fun. If you do this, do the EXTREME route. Again, pricy at $65 a head, but I'd do it again in a second.

My husband and I also did the Pirates of the Carribean zipline tour on our last day before flying out since you can't dive anyway. It WAS a BLAST! I, who has a great fear of heights, thoroughly enjoyed it. Would recommend that to anyone interested and it was only 5 minutes from Cocoview. Well worth the money.

And Kingscrab, I feel your pain with Delta. We were sitting in RTB those same 4 hrs with you. Unfortunately we are most always stuck with Delta since we are from the Atlanta area and Delta's base. At least we did not have to go through the additional connections like you guys though. Can't believe you had to overnite twice.

Here are a few of the dolphin photos I took at Cocoview Wall on 8/18/10. So much fun!

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3099.jpg
    IMG_3099.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 130
Nothing is ever a guarantee, but in many dives with CCV, I have often seen Dolphins along the stretch near First Bight (about a mile east of the resort). Since CCV dive bots traverse that area quite often on their way to dive sites, we have flopped in with them fairly often. So much so that many CCV divers never bother with the paid-for Dolphin deal at AKR.

One of the big plusses for the "on shore" rooms at CCV is that they afford you a 15' high balcony from the upper level units (#13-15, 19-21) and you can see quite aways off into the Sunset lit waters. It is fairly common to see them popping out along Newman's Wall and further West.

And then there have been rare occasions of Killer Whales (No, not the species "False" Killer Whales)

It's all right there. All you have to do is be patient, go slowly, be observant, and most of all... log each of those 5 dives a day that CCV can provide. Can't see so much from the bar! ... although....:coke:

This is the easiest and most interesting night shore-dive... you can't get lost and the intact shallow wreck is just packed with critters.

I read all the above, and no-one mentions TACA as an airline choice. I know it's departure cities from the US > Roatan are limited, but I travel through Houston and find TACA to be a very positive experience... certainly when compared to US carriers and today's flying environment.

Only used TACA once to Roatan and did not have a problem, but that was years ago. Parrotheaddiver has used them many times, maybe she will chime in. Glad you had a great time at CCV, we will be there next may for the third time.

Great to know that you had such a fantastic time. Your experiences sound very similar to what we had on our trip in April. We agree that CocoView is a well oiled machine that is set up perfectly for a hassle free, enjoyable vacation. After going ourselves, we could see how people go there multiple times.

As far as food is concerned, I had to laugh when the OP said it was great and someone else said it was subpar. Food is so subjective, but IMO the food was decent to good on our trip....somewhere between the two people's opinions here. :wink: Mitch did tell us that the only change he'd like to make at CCV is to tweak the menu a bit and offer more healthy, fresh choices. We told him we thought that was a great idea, so hopefully in the next year we'll hear about minor changes in the menu.

All you have to do is be patient, go slowly, be observant....

Exactly. I was there in July and on every boat dive I spent some time just off the wall looking into the blue when I wasn't shooting any video. It finally paid off when I notice this small group of bar jacks screaming in towards the wall then out of nowhere a great hammerhead appeared for about 5 seconds before going back out to the blue. Of course my camera had turned itself off since I wasn't using it so I got no evidence and no one else saw it. My group didn't really believe me until our DM Ruben said that that site was one of the ones where you can see one. I even highlighted it on the fish list :eyebrow:

Sorry for the hijack...... this thread made me excited again about diving at CCV.

I get a pretty good chuckle out of the comments made of the food as well... The food was fine and as others mentioned, healthier would be nice with more fish and fruit!!! BUT... after paying over 100.00 each time my and the wife ate dinner in Bonaire, I am more than satisfied with the food at CCV... I was before and even more so now!

As for the "Red" boat or number "4" we had Dave and Mel... I enjoyed both of them but I wonder what happened to Mel... He was our DM...

We already made arrangements for next Sept (2011 and wish it was sooner but its with a group of friends) so we are in the "Can't wait to get back mode"... However, this next time we are heading over for 2 weeks... One week at CCV and another at Utila!!! Sure wish we were leaving tomorrow...!!!

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom