Boat Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gil Middlebrooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at several dive shops offering NC wreck charters, most require experience diving off a boat. What's the best way to go about getting that so that by next Spring/Summer, I can head out to the coast. I am just about to go through the PADI Open Water course, so I am new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Go down to the keys. Get the experience at the same time you get some awesome diving in.

There are people who dive some other way?

:confused:

(I am only joking, please don't feel the need to reply pointing out the obvious).

That's weird, I'd call some of the ones your looking at. Someone has got to let a new diver onboard. My first dive outside of class was a charter out of panama city beach and they were glad to have the three of us along. They new it was our first dive.

You'll learn some of the stuff you'll need in your OW class, so don't stress out. Also, make sure that your instructor knows that you would like to dive from boats in the future so those skills can be practiced a bit more if you don't feel comfortable. You are paying for the instruction, if you need to practice something a bit more just speak up. Also, good instructors want to turn out SAFE divers so they are really interested in making sure you are comfortable with the skills they are teaching you.

If you still want practice after certification, talk to the local shops, captains, and divemasters, and explain your goal of going on the trips you've been looking at and ask if they can help you gain some experience/confidence (I have friends who've let us dive from their pontoons in lakes and reservoirs just for fun/practice). Chances are that either they'd love to help or they'll know someone who can.

You'll learn some of the stuff you'll need in your OW class, so don't stress out. Also, make sure that your instructor knows that you would like to dive from boats in the future so those skills can be practiced a bit more if you don't feel comfortable. You are paying for the instruction, if you need to practice something a bit more just speak up. Also, good instructors want to turn out SAFE divers so they are really interested in making sure you are comfortable with the skills they are teaching you.

If you still want practice after certification, talk to the local shops, captains, and divemasters, and explain your goal of going on the trips you've been looking at and ask if they can help you gain some experience/confidence (I have friends who've let us dive from their pontoons in lakes and reservoirs just for fun/practice). Chances are that either they'd love to help or they'll know someone who can.

Also, you might want to inquire at your LDS about getting an OW class that also tailors to boat diving. It might cost a little more for the boat charter, but it might be well worth it.

My LDS has a OW class, where you also get certified from a boat instead of doing the normal shore dive.

Looking at several dive shops offering NC wreck charters, most require experience diving off a boat. What's the best way to go about getting that so that by next Spring/Summer, I can head out to the coast. I am just about to go through the PADI Open Water course, so I am new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Best to look at the boat schedules and hook up with an "into to ..." trip. Absolute best way to start, the captain and crew are all about helping you get squared away.

Boat diving is nothing spectacular. Its just a little diffrent in that your immediately on site to dive and requires very little swim if any to the site. Also getting outs a bit more interesting since most boats are set up to where you just sit down and take off the gear. Much easier then shore entries and exits.

I had a friend who went boat diving with me and even still today he doesnt quiet get when you giant stride you have to step way out away from the boat. He just tries a baby step off and he keeps hitting the tank on the deck. So far hes been lucky though :D

As for your question most places will tell you they want to see your logs to verify your experience (Such as cruise lines charters) but when you arrive most people settle for just seeing your ccard. In the meantime like say charter some good boat dives elsewhere most dive destinations have boat dives even in fresh water lakes.

Coastal Scuba, out of North Myrtle Beach will take you out whether it is your first boat dive or not. My wife and I did our very first dive (after certification) with them. They will reccomend several novice level dives. Sadly weather made out trip a bust but it doesn't have to be that way. The lesson we learned was..."when the divemaster says...it is really tough diving you might not want to bother goingout.." listen to him/her :)
Just google Coastal Scuba...The Sherman or Barracuda alley should fit the bill. We did 3 mile reef and it sucked...(not the companies fault...it was weather) 3-5 feet visibility is not good for a first dive ...haha...lesson learned.

Gil,

I am over here in Hickory... Wish I knew how many dives you had cause that would help us to understand just where you are skill wise...

Secrets to a boat dive... know where to get sick at! Anticipate your giant stride so you hit the water at the top of the swell, hitting the water from 15' can sting a bit...! Know how to get into the boat without catching the ladder with your teeth, in all seriousness, this is the hardest and most dangerous part of boat diving IMO... There is a knack for getting into a boat when the swells are large, you need to know how to stay to the side of the ladder and time the swell so you board the ladder with enough time to safely board the boat...

Getting off the boat is easy... getting back on can be a different story! Currents will be the next lesson!!!

If you ever need a buddy, please feel free to give me a call.... If your thinking about going after Meg teeth then please give me a call...!

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom