Need a buddy @ Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leshurst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received my OW Cert and we are planning a trip to Fiesta Americana (Cozumel) in January. My husband is not a diver, will it be a problem if I show up at a dive boat without a buddy? I want to make sure I'm not the third toe :)

I am fortunate to have not had this problem. My wife used to go on dive vacations. She is an inactive instructor. The experience she had was always being paired up with the most inexperienced and inept unpaired diver on the boat in the expectation that she would watch out for them.

At dive resorts, people are usually there for the week and they dive the same boats day after day. There is a good chance that you will be paired with the same person for most of the time, which could well be a good thing.

One thing to do with your new dive buddy is get the rules clear right off the bat. How deep are you going? How do you indicate your turnaround point (if you are diving an out and back)? How fast are you going?

Most resorts put a dive master into the water. The dive master is often good at finding cool stuff that most divers over look. It is a bit like a nature walk. So a good way to work with a new buddy in that situation is stick with the dive master. This is just a suggestion.

My wife and I have also gone in with less experienced divers. Last time we were in the keys, there were a couple of inexperienced divers (mother and son) and they loosely tagged along with us. They were usually about 10'-20' away. That worked pretty well. If you can, it might be a good idea to have a buddy but also another pair that your team loosely pairs with.

The reason for that and the reason for following the Divemaster is another problem. That is the dive buddy who is the "same ocean buddy". That is a dive buddy who just goes tearing off and figures that they are your buddy if you are sharing the same ocean. It happens.

I just received my OW Cert and we are planning a trip to Fiesta Americana (Cozumel) in January. My husband is not a diver, will it be a problem if I show up at a dive boat without a buddy? I want to make sure I'm not the third toe :)

leshurst-

It shouldn't be a problem not having your own buddy. Make sure that who ever you book with (dive op) knows that you don't have a dive buddy and, also, make sure they are aware of your newness to the sport. Cozumel is pretty well all drift diving and some of the dives tend to be a bit deeper (70 to 100 feet). If the dive op and the divemaster on the boat (they are required to be in the water in the marine park) know your skill level they will work to be sure that you have very enjoyable and safe dives.

Have a great trip, I envy you as I haven't made it down there this year and it has to be one of the best diving destinations in the world. Clear water, abundant marine life, gentle currents and great people.

have fun.

You are going to have such a great time! I made my first trip to Coz this summer with my non-diving wife. I let my DM know that I didn't have a "buddy" and asked if it was alright if I just stayed with him. He said, "of course!" and there was never a problem, I kept in communication with him, and when my time was up I signaled that I was going up to my safety stop, he gave me the OK and I finished my dive.

I've also learned that, when I've never been someplace or the dives are of a group tour/sightseeing type, it's best to let the DM know what you'd like to see and then follow them as they find it for you! Remember to tip too (around $5 per tank is average).

I never hardly have a buddy go with me on ocean trips and most times they will pair me up with other divers. One thing to make sure of though is when you do pair up take a few minutes to feel out your partner and ask questions. Make sure he understands your experience and any issues you could possibly face such as if your not sure of how much weight to use.

Also nice is to be up front and honest and tell the dive ops how much experience they have so they can make a note to pay attention to the little things most experienced divers do second nature such as how much air you have and how fast your consuming it.

In the mean time though just do what every diver does and relax and let the waters sooth your worries away :D

In Coz just let the DM know, he will probably buddy you up with him:wink: The type of diving is such having a buddy close by is not so important. You will be drifting along with EVERYONE else:wink:

Good advice from everyone above. Don't worry about not finding a buddy. I went alone last year and had the same concerns. It was no problem at all to find someone to dive with. Made many friends and sometimes there were only three of us on the boat and we dove as a threesome, "third toe", which worked out great for us. You will have a really good time.

Good advice from everyone above. Don't worry about not finding a buddy. I went alone last year and had the same concerns. It was no problem at all to find someone to dive with. Made many friends and sometimes there were only three of us on the boat and we dove as a threesome, "third toe", which worked out great for us. You will have a really good time.

Funny you mentioned that LOL I went out on a dive and met a nice couple while we were there. Turned out they were on the same departing flight as we were so we got to hang out, eat lunch and turned into quiet an intersting event!

Back
Top Bottom