Double Tank Size

What Size Double Do You Use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, who makes the wing? Halcyon and DSS I think are the only two companies that actually test their lift capacity in the water.

Oxycheq

HP100s, but I'm only five-seven.

I too am 5'7". I have considered HP100s but LP85s have a larger tank value (3.2 vs. 2.9).

Worthington LP85s. I'm going to be using the Fabers on my upcoming Florida trip, so it will interesting to see the difference, if any.

currently i switch between LP 85's ( thanks ron) and HP 100's i find them almost identical in weight and length.

ww

Right now I'm using AL80s for doubles, since steel tanks give me no need for additional ballast (even in my drysuit) which I don't like because I'm new to doubles and their head-heaviness. I just attach 4 lbs of lead via a camband to the tail of the tanks and trim is much easier for me.

My first set of doubles were HP100s that I have now broke down to singles and they were great tanks: not too heavy, lots of gas, and trimmed well for me. I just didn't like the fact that I had no ballast that I could move around to make them trim easier. Also, the 80s do just fine for most of my doubles diving that I do.

For myself I worry about gas capacity very little when selecting new tanks (says a guy who owns Fabler LP85s, LP95s, PST HP100s, an Asahi HP120, and Catalina 80s) and instead focus on how comfortable they are for me. Lately I've been diving the LP85s and loving them, nice and light on land but for the majority of my diving they have enough gas for me, trim out very nicely, and the bouyancy characteristics are favorable for me.

Peace,
Greg

Oxycheq

I too am 5'7". I have considered HP100s but LP85s have a larger tank value (3.2 vs. 2.9).

I also wouldn't consider Tank Factor to be deciding, especially for scuba math as I use 3 for both tanks and don't worry about decimal points. Keeps things a lot simpler and that makes me happy.

Peace,
Greg

I've owned sets of LP72s (PST), AL80s (Luxfer), LP85s (Worthington), HP100s (Worthington), and HP130s (PST). I mostly dive the last three. Favorite by far is the set of 85s.

Twin steel HP100s. I', 5'8 and it's going to be fun getting on the platform in pitching seas and then up the ladder to the deck on the Peace Boat 9/3-5/10

I'm going through this torture so I can feel comfortable when I do my Apprentice cave in November.

I broke down my doubles when my daughter was born so I wouldn't be tempted to push my limits, but I was diving doubled Asahi/Genesis HP100s, and found them to be pretty nice with a drysuit albeit a bit heavy on land. I always coveted doubled LP104s though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom