what/how to say 'wtf are you doing?'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO no, you are solid in the water and easily able to handle it.The fact that you don't have an official card that "says you can" (And I guess I am not going into the ridiculousness that results in you not having the bit of plastic that says you "can" :)

Thanks.

And, in fairness, I've never taken a class to do this type of profile. The piece of plastic I you're talking about would be for something ever so slightly different.

I agree on the solo but I think I kind of disagree about the stage in many conditions (maybe reversing my other post :) There are quite some subtleties in stage diving not just from where to drop and how to drop/pickup efficiently, but contingencies and gas management.

What is it, a 1-2 day class after full cave ?

IF a person had full cave AND was used to managing stages in OW then maybe if they got a good mentor, but given the various responses elsewhere on the specifics of stage diving that were pretty eye-opening then maybe even that's not enough.
Admittedly, my first stage dive was with c2/team divers. After that, dozens of stage dives with a c2 diver who has about 400 cave dives. I learned to scooter from the same group. Oddly enough, the lady who worked with me on scootering is the FIRST person I go to with cave diving questions, not any previous instructor, even though I do go back to them for some things.

I think it's a 2 day class after full cave. My issue with it is that many of the instructors teach 1/3 on the stage, which IMO isn't the best way to do things. I can't see me taking a stage class KNOWING that I don't agree with what's taught. Also, let's not forget that an INSTRUCTOR posted in that stage thread and didn't have the proper math.

Just curious...if a c2/t1 diver was doing multiple scooter + rebreather + 3 deco gas dives to 2 miles in a 300ft deep cave without tech 2, would you say something to them?

Just curious...if a c2/t1 diver was doing multiple scooter + rebreather + 3 deco gas dives to 2 miles in a 300ft deep cave without tech 2, would you say something to them?

Would a c2/t1 diver use a rebreather? :)

There was a time when t2 wan't a pre req and fundies was a workshop.

I don't even have a tech pass :wink:

Before I post my opinion, I need to give a bit of background on my own diving history. That way people might know where I am coming from.

I was doing dives on trimix and way beyond my training for quite some time before I actually got the cards. I dove with a couple of very good mentors that really broke my balls when I did something wrong. My very first cave dive after training was a solo dive.

I would never approach another diver with the intent of telling them that something they were doing was stupid or wrong, UNLESS I thought it was something that would end up killing them or others. In that case, I would try to do it in a polite way (yes, I would) by starting a conversation and then maybe asking their thoughts/plans.

I think that divers need to be able to make their own decisions and that maybe once in awhile they might need a gentle nudge to go in the right direction.

PS - it was those darned ears on the hood, when I popped up in challenge sink, that got my respect

"Can I have your tanks since you won't be needing them anymore?" :)

OMG vultures everywhere :rofl3: I have friends so flippin' happy that I can't take lobster on a RB calling for my "limit" and others that have dibs on my OC gear :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

PS - it was those darned ears on the hood, when I popped up in challenge sink, that got my respect

Really . . . it wasn't the spool hanging on the line in Little River that got your respect . . . the diver that experienced that isn't the diver that I know today . . .

Do you know that diver ??? :kiss2:

OMG vultures everywhere :rofl3: I have friends so flippin' happy that I can't take lobster on a RB calling for my "limit" and others that have dibs on my OC gear :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
I would very much like for you to keep your own OC gear. That way I can come down and borrow it without having to haul 6000lbs of stuff down.:D

It's a good question :)

If they were not doing them with me then for sure not :)

I do think there comes a point when "more classes" and "mentorship" kind of even out somewhat (what I was getting at earlier I guess)

On the other side of that, I have equivalent of GUE tech2, and cave2 and I know for sure that I dont have any business yet doing such dives even though I think my cards "allow" me to.

I know that GUE is extremely inflexible here in some ways (even making cave 3 instructors take Tech2 before their RB80 class and making exploration divers go through cave2 even though they have many hundreds or thousands of dives)

I mean technically a GUE Tech2 doesnt even qualify someone for 300 feet. Even Tech2+ doesn't do that and who really takes a Tech3 class these days ?

I think once you have reached those levels of diving, one really needs to be able to edge themselves forward with more mentorship than official classes.

And then you also see that in your case, you had to be careful in who you picked to be a mentor for stage to make sure you got what you wanted. Imagine someone with just a basic cert hooking with the wrong person for "mentorship" ....

it's pretty murky I guess

I would do certain dives in a cave with a scooter despite not having even an OW scooter cert. This would be limited to places I had been and know I can swim out of and aren't small. I can definitely see huge benefits of taking more formal training for multi-stage multi-scooter dives or a very good mentor because thats one area where for sure I dont yet know what I dont yet know ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom