So what do I want in a Coz dive trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Continental Airlines - Checked Baggage They really need to update it if that's the case, and inform their employees at all airports. I mentioned this today to someone who recently flew out of EWR to CUN on CO, ticketed in first, and she said she checked her usual 3 bags, all under 50lbs but it was 3 bags and no charges.

Guess next time I make the trip I'll find out.
Ok that does say FC is "allowed to check up to 3 bags, with a maximum weight of 70 lbs." That makes is a contract; just need to print it out maybe?

Actually, I believe there is a difference in "BusinessFirst" and First Class. I upgrade to First Class regularly and all of my inquiries end with "2x 50# checked bags"... Of course, my carry-on is usually well above the 40# limit, but they don't check at IAH. I don't believe you can even get a Business First flight to Cozumel according to this:
Continental Airlines - BusinessFirst

Actually, I believe there is a difference in "BusinessFirst" and First Class. I upgrade to First Class regularly and all of my inquiries end with "2x 50# checked bags"... Of course, my carry-on is usually well above the 40# limit, but they don't check at IAH. I don't believe you can even get a Business First flight to Cozumel according to this:
Continental Airlines - BusinessFirst
I fly from EWR usually non-stop to CUN. But occasionally do the connection in IAH to CZM. Hasn't mattered what aircraft we're on, to CUN or connecting to CZM, we upgrade in advance with miles and have always been allowed 3 bags up to 70lbs each. Our bags are never that heavy, but with the photo & video gear one of us is usually checking a 3rd. I haven't done the trip in too long now, but like I said in an earlier post, a friend of mine just did and still got 3 bags, 70lbs each. Our boarding passes, regardless of the aircraft, always say "BusinessFirst." It's always a 2 cabin aircraft. On the long haul International flights we've done, when it's a 3 cabin aircraft with true Business and First, we've been in both and still gotten the 3 bags. Last trip like that was last year (DH went on a longhaul flight - First out, Business back)

Could be things are different out of IAH?

If it has changed out of EWR I'll find out the next time I fly to Mexico. Whatever it is, we'll have to adjust accordingly. Not really much you can do except pay for the bag if there's a charge, or do your best to downsize if you know in advance. Not going to worry too much about it either way. With the cost of a dive trip, the investment in the gear, photo & video gear, $20-30/bag is not exactly a deal breaker.... if I had to worry about that I'd just stay home...

Hope you have fair skies and smooth waters to make the passage across to Turtle Alley. I am so looking forward to hearing your report of the dive and how it was. I wish October would hurry up and get here! I am so ready for vacation and going diving!!!

Hope you have fair skies and smooth waters to make the passage across to Turtle Alley. I am so looking forward to hearing your report of the dive and how it was. I wish October would hurry up and get here! I am so ready for vacation and going diving!!!
Well, the 7am wind forecast was low, but while the 10 am wind was forecast to be up some - Scuba Mau did it for us anyway. Not a bad crossing at all, albeit a little rougher on the far side out of the island's wind shadow. I said earlier that the twin 75s didn't seem to have must go power until the next day when they did; Victor said that he did have a engine problem with one for our dive day 1 but he'd fixed that - plenty fast. We left an hour earlier @ 7:30am to ensure smoothest sailing.

Not many turtles or tarpons tho; I guess not the season and that's why my August request 2 years ago failed. Monkey said springtime is better for that - mating season? Well I think it was April that I enjoyed that dive so much on year. Maybe 3 turtles, several lionfish kills by the second mate who tagged along for the morning, so I shot what video I could - often the other divers. Cute Austin girl in a bikini was a good sport as was her BF. Video to follow in a week or two: "Tortugas dive staring Leah!" They were green vacation divers with rented everything, no computers, so we took a 90 minute SI back at the dock before diving VB reef. Nice folks but a little worrisome, forgetting Safety Stops and such. :no: My bud & I went into the yellow both dives, taking very long SSs on the second to work out.

Anyway, Tortugas may not work well in October either, but the DMs are good about finding turtles every dive. Yesterday's bikini diver (always nice to have one among all the old coots on a boat :D ) really had a thing for them. I think she got a phone number for one.

Tomorrow we're leaving at 7:30am again I think for Cathedral. They moved it up to give Jer & I more time to catch a quick ferry for our run to Valladoldid.
Don't worry montanagal our time will come soon enough. In the meantime, we can enjoy Don's daily trip reports.
Trying...! :thumb:

Not many turtles or tarpons tho; I guess not the season and that's why my August request 2 years ago failed. Monkey said springtime is better for that - mating season?

The fact is that this dive is not what it once was and there just aren't that many turtles over there like there used to be. We honestly see more turtles at Palancar (with much better reefs) than at "Tortugas" - that's why those of us who used to make regular trips over don't do it anymore - it's not worth it and it's been very disappointing the past several times we've gone over. Even the op I work with on that side said it's not a good dive anymore.

Sounds like a great trip, Don. I was in Plainview yesterday. Good enchiladas, but I'd rather be there with you. I look forward to your full report since I'm considering Villablanca/ScubaMau myself for a trip in March.

You guys must be having some good weather. All the way down to Chun Chucab one day and able to cross the channel on another.

Enjoy Wet Wendys for us.

The fact is that this dive is not what it once was and there just aren't that many turtles over there like there used to be. We honestly see more turtles at Palancar (with much better reefs) than at "Tortugas" - that's why those of us who used to make regular trips over don't do it anymore - it's not worth it and it's been very disappointing the past several times we've gone over. Even the op I work with on that side said it's not a good dive anymore.
Ah thanks. Some of us have been asking over the last couple of years, as in Turtle Alley thread.
You guys must be having some good weather. All the way down to Chun Chucab one day and able to cross the channel on another.

Enjoy Wet Wendys for us.
Pretty nice yeah. It's Cape Verde storm season time, but Daniel headed north to sea (the news agencies are still headlining it anyway: Hurricane! blah), and Earl seems like he is going to go the same harmless way. There is a new possible wave off of the Cape now that might form into a tropical depression 3 - 4 days from now, but nice for now and not much chance of problems really. Good rain last night around 10 pm I think, but smooth sailing mostly.

Tomorrow night we head for Chichen Itza, with highes the next day around 35C/95F but we are prepared I think.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom