What is weight of the biggest lobster........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDMD

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
legal of course, that you have ever taken shore or boat diving?

Mine was were pretty standard 1-1 3/4 lbs.....

But then again, I started diving the MA waters this summer.......:D

Last edited:
Here are a couple.. (7 lbs?)

clash of titans.jpg

img031.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen a few lobsterzillas (one had to be close to 35-40lbs) but as far as taking them? Standard 1-2lbs. I'm lucky if they are of legal size anyway! :)

The biggest legal lobster under the big guage is just under 4 lbs. There may be a 4lbs lobster under the big guage with huge claws but no one I know has legally beaten the 4lbs mark. Anyone who talks about keeping a bigger lobster is either lying, poaching, or catching it where they do not use a big guage. My dive club South Shore Neptunes does a biggest lobster contest every year and myself and the guys I dive with always try for it and sometimes win so I do know. And yes we catch oversize lobsters but once they are guaged we put them back. Stupid to carry them around and have them chomp on the smaller ones.

There are legal lobsters that are much larger than the guage on the outer Cape. Legal inside Massachusetts Bay and outside of Mass Bay are two very different things.

This is a totally legal bug. 12.5 lbs. And he's a male, no depletion of the breeding stock here.

One minute you're burping them, the next they are hoping to start as left defensive tackle for the Crimson Tide this fall...

1243719418.jpg

PTN

I tookthis in1972 when we could still buy out of state Mass lisc. We left the dock in Orleans, when out theinlet and turned south along Nausettt beach, about a half mile offshore. our boat person was fishing so he emptied out his 30 gal plastic trash can and sliped it over the side so I could boat it .It was moving back and forth in a small cave ,so when I finally got the b*lls to do it ,I grabbed his carapice and the fight was on, he spread his arms so I couldnt get him out of the cave , so I inched my fingers up to his knuckles , whiped em in and pulled him out, spreading the claws wide and now the real battle began. He beat my face mask down on my chin w/ his giant tail , but I was only in 22fsw , so I headed up w/ the thrashing ,pissed off mega bug. what an adventure. 13.5 lbs

Attachments

• Cape Cod Lobster.jpg
    Cape Cod Lobster.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
This was from last year but i dont remember what it wieght but i know it tasted good:eyebrow:

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 1,905
Imagine how big they might have been if we were able to dive back in the 1600s! Even in the early days of my diving out here on the West Coast (for our spiny lobster) in the late 60s, it was not uncommon to see the really big ones. I only took the smaller, more tasty ones and left the big ones to reproduce. Besides, if I tried to take the really big ones, they'd probably shred my hand!

Since we are sharing lobstah photos...

Here are my amazingly average bugs!

38590_704520138941_11004439_40319337_2979568_n.jpg

Those are three average (yet nice looking) bugs I've snagged...
The biggest? A whopping... 2lbs. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom