Massachusetts snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, if you want to go snorkeling (this is a thread about snorkeling), Stellwagen is likely to be too deep for you, and Salem harbor has significant boat traffic hazards.

yes true but if you go off of Waikiki beach its really nice. Other place's like Brown's island and Misery (not the busy places like cocktail cove) are good snorkeling places as long as you look out for the trustees. And your right Stellwagen is deep but there are a lot of fish near the surface so as long as your not too far away from the boat your snorkeling off of you should be OK.

I took my snorkel stuff to Wingarsheek beach in Gloucester last week. Water is soooo cold! But I went at absolute LOW tide and snooped around in the tidal pools in the rocks off to the right of the beach.... in about 8 feet of water there (in a tidal pool only about the size of someone's living room) I saw a jillion crabs, hermit cravs, starfish... and a stingray! sand colored, about a foot across with a 2 foot tail... only took about an hour to explore but very fun for an easy day at the beach.

... and a stingray! sand colored, about a foot across with a 2 foot tail...

I'd guess it was a winter skate.
Skate%20Plum%20Cove048.jpg

Sounds like a nice swim!

Back
Top Bottom