how deep before you feel need to equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
going by the book you are supposed to equalize on the surface & continually as you go down. but i wanted to survey in practise what people here find convenient for them.

i like to snorkle. if i am taking a closer look at something 3m i dont usually equalise, i used to need to, but over the summer my ears have apparently become used to this pressure & no discomfort is felt any more - i just hear this *loud* sound in my ears when down there, sort of like water/steam rushing through pipes.

going on to 6m(the bottom around here) then i will need to pop them at 4 & 6m.

I start on the surface and then probably every 3 to 5 feet as I descend.

I actually start the day before the dive to make sure everything is equalizing easily and then every 20 minutes or so on the way to the dive site.

maybe 3-5 here as well.

going by the book
i like to snorkle. if i am taking a closer look at something 3m i dont usually equalise, i used to need to, but over the summer my ears have apparently become used to this pressure & no discomfort is felt any more - i just hear this *loud* sound in my ears when down there, sort of like water/steam rushing through pipes.

this is becuase your ears fill up with fluid so the air space in them gets smaller meaning you won't feel the need to clear as much. this is not a good thing it can and will affect your hearing!
is it really that hard to clear all the way down if your only going to 3m or even 6m?
dive safe
Darcy Hinds

i usually descend quickly, so i equalize the entire time. i just apply slight pressure the whole time and i never have a problem. i can hear the air passing through the passages the whole time too.

going by the book you are supposed to equalize on the surface & continually as you go down. but i wanted to survey in practise what people here find convenient for them.

At the surface and every couple of feet

Clearing every few seconds during a swimming descent probably equals 5 or 6 feet. This keeps me from ever feeling any discomfort or pressure in my ears. Frequent equalizing also makes it easy to clear since there's not a great pressure differential acting on the tubes in your ears.

Equalize even now, sitting at your computer reading this. . .never hurts to constantly equalize gently, as it comes to mind. . .helps keeps your Eustation Tubes streched . . for sure a day or two before your dives, on the way to the dive site, before you start descent and all the way down. . .if you wait til it hurts, you are already in some trouble.

Rick

Next time you go, compare your approach to descents with surface/continuous interval EQ, and you will most likely notice, that the "sound" in your ears doesn't appear, and that it takes less force to equalize as you go down deeper.
Re my EQ routine, I do surface and 3-4' intervals, regardless whether it's a 10' or 50' dive.

Back
Top Bottom