6 Gilled shark??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about the best, but I've seen them oftrn off of Hornby Island.

Yup, I heard they are no longer seeing them at Hornby anymore, but nobody knows why.

Like Stuart said, I'm just getting back from a week of diving at Rendezvous lodge in Barkley Sound. They organized "shark week". We were privileged to have Chris Harvey-Clark spend the week with us. He is a shark expert, has done documentaries on the Greenland shark in Baie Comeau, Quebec, etc. He would give a talk or video every night about sharks.

Anyways, we did dives that were a bit tailored to seeing sharks. The diving there is really nice, mostly pinnacles that rise up to 30 ft or so. Lots to see in the 30-60 ft range, tons of black and yellowtail rockfish, octopus and wolf eels on almost every dive. More ratfish than you can imagine, at least 50 on every dive (I think this is the season for them).

We really were after six gill sightings. One theory is they like to eat ratfish, but nobody really knows. Our group was lucky enough to see six gills twice. I saw the first one, about a 10-12 footer, it was an awesome experience to see it cruise by slowly. He was cruising by the pinnacle in about 70 ft of water. The sand channel was in about 100 ft, and some of the group chased him done to there. I got a 30 second video of it, I will post it when I'm back home.

The next day, Chris and 2 others saw a smaller one, and got some great HD video of it.

Anyways, I think if you spend a week at the Rendezvous at this time of year, and hang out in the 70-100 ft range around some of the pinnacles there, you would probably be assured of seeing at least one 6 gill.

Apparently they saw one in only 35 ft of water off their house reef a few days before we arrived.

Cheers and happy diving!
:)

South Hornby Island there is a small island called Flora Island and there are National Geographic cameras at 140 feet they are motion activated cameras

Here is my video of the 6 gill from a few days ago. It was an awesome encounter; I never thought I would be so lucky as to see a six gill! :)

It was truly amazing to see this huge beast cruise by so slowly. He swam within 10 feet of me, but I knew it would be a bit too far to get good stills, so I frantically tried to switch my camera to video mode. I have to press a certain button several times, and in my excitement, I kept going past the video mode, so I lost about 10 seconds. By the time I got my camera in video mode, he had just swum right by me, so I just missed getting a good frontal view.

Here is the youtube link:

YouTube - Six Gill Shark

Here is my video of the 6 gill from a few days ago. It was an awesome encounter; I never thought I would be so lucky as to see a six gill! :)

It was truly amazing to see this huge beast cruise by so slowly. He swam within 10 feet of me, but I knew it would be a bit too far to get good stills, so I frantically tried to switch my camera to video mode. I have to press a certain button several times, and in my excitement, I kept going past the video mode, so I lost about 10 seconds. By the time I got my camera in video mode, he had just swum right by me, so I just missed getting a good frontal view.

Here is the youtube link:

YouTube - Six Gill Shark
Amazing, You have helped restore some hope :D Thanks for the video.

Also Oggy go to nootkasound, in town at the dock the fisherman drop there fish guts off, go on a night dive and you will see them, At the rivers that run into the sound they bite the salmon in the belly then after they have a few they eat them with there tails up. Dive boat captain Bart took me on some dives, bart is no longer with us, there are other charters there though.

Happy Diving

Also Oggy go to nootkasound, in town at the dock the fisherman drop there fish guts off, go on a night dive and you will see them, At the rivers that run into the sound they bite the salmon in the belly then after they have a few they eat them with there tails up. Dive boat captain Bart took me on some dives, bart is no longer with us, there are other charters there though.

Happy Diving

Sounds like a road trip is in order!!

The best shot is diving at 100 fsw or deeper at dusk or later at this time of the year. Here in Puget Sound they haven't been around recently in the numbers that were here a few years ago.

I used to hear of sporadic sightings every summer in Saanich Inlet, but I haven't heard of any this year. I saw some underwater photos of a basking shark off San Juan Island though, so if that started to be a trend again, people might not be as interested in six-gills anymore.

We went out to Sisters Island (South East of Hornby) 4 times last year. Six gills on 2 different days. Also, the best cloud sponges we have seen around here. Acres of them, coffee table in size white to golden orange. Can't remember seeing anything dead either. Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom