Maldives liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about the Maldives is, almost everything is on a separate island, including most of the zillion hotels & resorts. Male and the airport are not even on the same island. The Hulehule Airport Hotel is on the airport island and is the only hotel you can drive to, of course there's a shuttle. The rooms were nice, the restaurant was fine, the pool/bar was a good place to hang out. It probably makes the most sense.

There are other hotels and resorts on nearby islands a very short water shuttle from the airport but I don't know anything about them or if that makes sense for one night. Might depend what time you get in. Perhaps check with your liveaboard where they generally pick you up and if they have any other suggestions. We were picked up by boat back at the airport and shuttled to the liveaboard; I expect that's common if not universal. (The airport has docks where other airports would have a taxi stand.) Maybe they would pickup by boat at a nearby resort if you asked.

If you want to be adventurous you could take a water shuttle to Male and stay someplace there, but for one night with luggage I doubt it's worth it the trouble. You could always stay at the airport hotel and take a water shuttle to Male if you really want to check it out. We didn't, what we heard was it wasn't worth the bother and resting and trying to get closer to local time seemed more appealing at the time.

If you want to be able to have a drink stay at the Hulehule Airport Hotel. The entire island of Male is "dry" unless things have changed since May 08. They don't even allow you to bring alcohol into the country. Well, actually they do but you are supposed to declare it on arrival at which time they take it, give you a receipt and then you can pick it up when you leave.

Good to hear you managed to get something booked.

For us we've found in the past that from the time you set out from home, take the required flights, factor in the waiting around between flights and the fact that you don't actually get any decent sleep and then you arrive into the Maldives knackered and then when you step foot on the liveaboard it's straight into this and that and then depending on your safari route you may be looking at your 1st dive that day and we found that to be a bit of a killer so thats why we now fly out the day before and catch up on some sleep and unwind ready to transfer to the liveaboard chilled and feeling at little more refreshed

We always stay at the airport hotel; there's a mini-bus to wiz you up to the hotel in no more than 5 minutes and then in the morning they'll take you back to arivals to meet up with everyone else (who look knackered and in need of some decent sleep)

The hotel's alright; the rooms are ok - this yr we had paito doors leading to a little private beach area, theres a pool with a bar where you can kick back and chill, several options regarding food and you can even book a treatment at the spa.

Having been to Male sereral times with all it's hustle & bustle I think staying at the airport hotel is a better option - having said that I do know that there is now a Holiday Inn opened in Male but it's over priced and tends to get full with business men/those wishing to drink (Male is as already said a "dry; drink free zone")

Regards
Kasha

If you want to be able to have a drink stay at the Hulehule Airport Hotel. The entire island of Male is "dry" unless things have changed since May 08.

Yup. Same as before.
I've been told that the Hulhule Island Hotel is considered a "resort", and are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages.

FYI, the Maldivian government pondered on issuing alcohol sales licenses to hotels with 100beds or more on inhabited islands, but their own ministry of Islamic affairs has always opposed the sales of alcohol on inhabited islands. I have heard that there is (was?) a license issued for alcohol purchase and consumption at home for foreigners with work permits, but this won't apply to us travellers.

They don't even allow you to bring alcohol into the country. Well, actually they do but you are supposed to declare it on arrival at which time they take it, give you a receipt and then you can pick it up when you leave.

About declaring your alcoholic beverages.
Don't ever think about smuggling a bottle in.:no:

They scan any and all luggage entering Maldives on ARRIVAL, before customs.:crazyeye: (even my 8yr old daughter's bag holding a Nintendo had to go through the scanner!)
You do have the option of declaring and having your bottle kept in bond until you leave the country :deal:
(or get caught on smuggling charges.:shakehead:)

You can stay at Male but probably Hulhumale (the airport island) is more quiet and also more convenient regarding transfers.
I recommend the Beach hotel, clean, cheap and simple with a nice beach. They have a pickup service from the airport and can bring you to the Hulhumale pay terminal jetty in the morning of the safari-start (5 minutes) as the safari boats are anchored in the lagoon of Hulhumale.

Email this man and he will get you a quote: fasfinnmaldives@hotmail.com

Regards,
Bas

Would recommend a good nights sleep in a hotel. The airport hotel from my research was expensive and not that good value. For half the price we booked a small room in Male. Nothing flash but clean and comfortable enough for an overnighter. As for the alcohol rules, Im sure if the government did act on the ideology of banning liqour sales on the islands, Maldives would have the resorts shut down and the heart and soul of tourism multi million$ business in this country will definitely expire! I found it ironic that on the way out, Male airport terminal has $1 beers!

Thanks for the reply's but I think the airport hotel is too expensive!! We won't be too tired/jet lagged as we are coming from Southern India. Also we aren't too bothered about no alcohol (last year we were in Banda Aceh and it's the same there).

We arrive into the Maldives in early afternoon. If you have any names of hotels in Male you would suggest that would be super. Just need something clean.

We stayed at fresco, it was a no frills, small but clean room. The breakfast from cafe at top of building has some great views.

Most of the group stayed at Candies Hotel on Male - small room, no frills, no view but ok for 1 night...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom