ubuntu: who uses it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Ubuntu and CentOS but I run them in a Virtualbox in the same machine as my Windows 7 system. I'm considering reversing my config so that I can have Ubuntu as my primary OS and run Windows 7 virtual since I don't really care much for Windows.

OK,

I know that most of our users are into Windows, but I wonder how many of you use Ubuntu? How many of you are a Linux IT or Sysadmin?

I used it for a while on an old Dell laptop. That LT is now in the hand of my mother who is happy with it. I have Fedora, access to Gentoo, OS X, and a couple of others that I cannot recall.

Ubuntu is JAOS; Just Another Operating System as far as I am concerned. They all have their good and bad. Except VMS which had one "bad"; but that was fixed when I was finally able to Set file/attr= ...

using ubuntu now as I type.. I have it installed on at least 9 computers in my sphere of influence. It has gotten a bit bloated of late, but the next release is going to focus on fixing a few issues and getting stability back under control. As far as a comparison between windoze and linux goes, they're about the same functionality and problem wise. the linux community will be quicker on addressing a problem and you'll see a fix a lot quicker too. I like linux for it being more 'user friendly' (vs widoze where "you'll do it this way" and that's about it)
of course, ymmv :wink:

One of my ham radio buddies talked me into installing it on my home machine about 2 years ago. I love it and haven't looked back. I am forced to use Uncle Bill's OS at work and dislike it more and more each day. The only time Ubuntu has ever acted like it might have faltered turned out to actually be a HD failure and not an OS issue. I love it and would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

I do have an XP VirtualBox that I use only for my dive computer software. That is the only thing I wasn't able to make happy or find a suitable replacement for in Ubuntu.

using ubuntu now as I type.. I have it installed on at least 9 computers in my sphere of influence. It has gotten a bit bloated of late,....of course, ymmv :wink:

sending this from Puppy Linux; small (100MB), quick (very) n just works.
ymmv too:)

The USB install has made it so simple. I loaded it on my son's laptop (Dell-AMD64) two days ago. When I did it a couple of years ago on a similar machine, it was like pulling teeth! This was easy and even the wireless portion was a snap. I was motivated to install it on a laptop that I had ceased using (Dell-Intel) because it had so many issues. Wow. It's usable again and even the Broadband worked without a hassle. It's come a long, long way.

I'm running a dual boot Ubuntu/XP. I switch to XP only when there is a program that I can't get to run in Wine. (iTunes and a couple photography suites)
I switched my father's computer to Ubuntu because every time someone sends one of those chain emails he MUST open it. This usually causes a lovely virus to infect his computer and he calls me over to fix it for him. Now with Ubuntu I don't have to fix anything and he doesn't really notice any difference except that his computer runs faster.

As far as time wasting games, my Ubuntu came preinstalled with 6 games. My XP has 13, and my brother's Win7 has 33!!!

Used to run Ubuntu exclusively at home, that laptop recently died so I'm stuck with Windows, but just for the moment. I run a combo of CentOS and Ubuntu servers at work. I've predominantly been on CentOS but am moving over to Unbuntu LTS more and more for my server systems.

Used to run Ubuntu exclusively at home, that laptop recently died so I'm stuck with Windows, but just for the moment. I run a combo of CentOS and Ubuntu servers at work. I've predominantly been on CentOS but am moving over to Unbuntu LTS more and more for my server systems.
That's been the case with ScubaBoard. We had been CentOS for so long, but it appears that the CentOS community is really fractured. I like what I see with Ubuntu, and now the majority of our servers use it (7/9).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom