What is a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... But the greater practical danger in rebreathers is complacency, followed closely by lack of experience and lack of proper training.

oddly enough you don't seem to be seeing a lot of inexperienced and poorly trained CCR divers perishing. I think there is actually a lot of evidence that complacency is often the product of a lot of experience and a lot of training and too much confidence. You see a remarkable number of experienced divers making fatal mistakes on mundane dives.

One of the big challenges, in my book, is to maintain a healthy level of humbleness and assume that while training and experience are key, one also needs to increase vigilance as they enter the realm of "experienced" and constantly resist the temptation to think you are in any way above making stupid mistakes.

g

Nice post Gill. As a noobie I have found that complacency can be a killer in OC diving as well, at least from what I have read on these forums.
You know, I can understand why...
Get Wet!

The answer is quite simpe, SEM's, Self Euthanasia Machines. If you don't treat them right, well they know how to find a new owner.

Dale

oddly enough you don't seem to be seeing a lot of inexperienced and poorly trained CCR divers perishing. I think there is actually a lot of evidence that complacency is often the product of a lot of experience and a lot of training and too much confidence. You see a remarkable number of experienced divers making fatal mistakes on mundane dives.

One of the big challenges, in my book, is to maintain a healthy level of humbleness and assume that while training and experience are key, one also needs to increase vigilance as they enter the realm of "experienced" and constantly resist the temptation to think you are in any way above making stupid mistakes.

g

Gill, I think we have seen a lot of inexperienced and poorly trained RB divers passing away. The latest was probably the incident at Eagle's Nest, and I know of several others that were a direct result of either poor training or a lack of appropriate experience. Poor gas selection, diving beyond personal limits, diving beyond well-embedded limits for gas, scrubber, etc. I consider all of these things poor training and/or experience. Most of these were very easily avoided.

I do agree that constant vigilance and humility are keys to CCR survival. I think the first 50 hours you spend (as long as you are properly trained) are probably the safest you will ever have on a rebreather because you are SCARED. After that, you need to constantly remind yourself of the dangers and stay on top of your game.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom