Dinner Meetings: Sunday Aug 22 & Tuesday Aug 24 - Interested...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A few on the August thread have asked about group suppers (farmer lingo) and it's seemed like we all are waiting for someone else to take the lead, and then someone asked me to again. "No good deed goes unpunished," but what's the worst that could happen to me this time? :laughing: Oh well, come if you're interested, as the food & folks will be good still I'm sure - and anything that goes wrong can be blamed on me ok. I'm good for it, except 2007 Hurricane Dean was not my fault I promise...! :no:

Sunday is Aug 22, right...?

7pm - Sonora Grill is upstairs at 15th & Benito Juarez (not the one listed in the Occ Grand hotel), a lovely & spacious restaurant with good food. Bring your cameras and get pics by the lovely copper hood...
My good natured bud & the cook, Auh 2008
click to enlarge
2 Day-4.JPG

Oh, that's me on a Coz boat...
3.jpg
...then after dinner you may want to stroll over to the nearby main plaza for the weekly music, dancing, and more.

I'll ask my dive Op to help set up reservations, but I've never seen it busy other than for our gatherings. I arrive on the 21st so cam also make my own confirmation calls. How many should I ask to seat together...?

Tuesday - Aug 24...

7pm - Wet Wendy's or whenever you get there. Their web site needs work like most there, but they feature "the best margaritas, chile rellenos and burritos in the Yucatan." Here are the directions from their site...

1. If taking taxi

* Ask how much is it to 2nd street and 5th Avenue (cuanto cuesta para Calle dos con Avenida cinco?)
* If he asks where you are going just repeat the address because he's going to try and take you somewhere else.
* If he says anything more than 8 dollars, look pissed, close the door and see if he settles on the 'right' price. *
* Do not get in the cab until you have settled the price. Do not tip him, unless the A/C is on, the car doesn't stink and he takes you to the address.
* You will know you have arrived because there is a convenient store (modern) on the corner called "OXXO".
* Get out of the taxi and look down 5th (it's the walking street, since you are on a corner, you have four choices, it's the only one without cars)
* If it's after 10:45 in the morning, you will see a bunch of trinket stores, a bank and US (Three tan, canvas umbrellas over green tables in front of our bar).
* Proceed South towards the bar and annoy me by asking for a dollar corona.
* Drink heavily

* Well, the taxi fare will vary with different origins, but it does seem to be on 5th Ave between B.Juarez and 2nd St north. I don't know how big it is so let me know if you're planning to come, if you can plan that far out, and we'll see what we can do.

Thursday - Aug 26...

Well, if you're going to be around Chichen Itza that evening, let me know. :confused:

Let's do it!... Do you want to make an announcement/invitation to the others on the Cozumel in August thread to see how much interest we can drum up?
In March when we were there we had two similar meetings and at each we had nearly 20 people show up!... It was, however, a "busier" trip with a lot more folks signed up on the scubaboard forum.... I would bet we can easily get 10 or 12 people there if we start promoting it now!
BTW: I am considering using Scuba Mau this go around. Figured I don't know/communicate with anyone that will be with Aldora this trip... And at least you and HARRO10 will be with Scuba Mau... So, what is your last name so that I can have Opal get me on the same boat as you?!? ; )

Let's do it!... Do you want to make an announcement/invitation to the others on the Cozumel in August thread to see how much interest we can drum up?
Did that already, and sent a few PMs - to the ones I could get the Username easily. The list Judy is keeping is impressive, pretty accurate, but I didn't search for those who were misspelled on it.
In March when we were there we had two similar meetings and at each we had nearly 20 people show up!... It was, however, a "busier" trip with a lot more folks signed up on the scubaboard forum.... I would bet we can easily get 10 or 12 people there if we start promoting it now!
Oh, I've done/been to these with 20-30 and that's nice, but I'll try to prevent having one waiter take all orders - too slow. Then once for a second dinner in a week I picked a pricier place and only 4 showed up, but that was fun too. YOU NEED TO INDICATE WHICH NIGHT YOU THINK YOU WILL MAKE THO SO I CAN KNOW HOW MANY TABLES TO REQUEST even tho additional folks can always be squeezed in.
BTW: I am considering using Scuba Mau this go around. Figured I don't know/communicate with anyone that will be with Aldora this trip... And at least you and HARRO10 will be with Scuba Mau... So, what is your last name so that I can have Opal get me on the same boat as you?!? ; )
I usually give that info so people can avoid my boat, but will PM. :eyebrow: I asked about including a north trip and a cross channel turtle dive trip in this mornings email, if the weather cooperates and our dive skills don't look like Ned in the Primer. Haha that phrase is almost dead; you can't even find a definition online anymore.

Hey all! Jen and I will be there on Sunday at a minimum! We'll have to wait to get our class/dive schedule for the remainder of the week but I think Sunday will be a no brainer! See ya at the Sonora! I'd ask how we find each other but I'm gonna guess it won't be that difficult... :)

What is Ned in the Primer or is that a who?
I guess the old term is dead to google. By tomorrow google may show this thread for the search? Refers to a fumbling beginner, as in a young boy stumbling over words in book.

Repost from other page..

Thanks for the restaurant post, sounds fun.

I'll try on Sunday for Sonora Grill.. a few things pending though, will know better when I get to Cozumel.

Wish I could join you guys but somebody has to work.

Try the bacon wrapped shrimp while at Sonora Grill, excellent!!

I can definitely do Aug 22.

I am here until August 23rd for REEF week. Also have Saturday (August 21st) available if anyone wants to try to do Wet Wendys. Already made quite a few stops there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom