What to look for in a new SCUBA tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess I forgot to put in the link for the craigslist sale. Here is what the listing details say: "vintage rare Scuba dual tanks w/Healthways regulator $50."

Thanks for the PM Elmer.

Amcordon, appreciate you weighing in with your experience on fire department fill stations. I had always wondered how that worked.

Ted

I am looking at getting a LP 108 for my first tank. I am a pretty big guy and I am hoping this will help take some weight off my belt. My question is, down the road if I want to go to doubles is this tank too big to use in that setup?

Oddthomas, perhaps you could ask this question in it's own thread to get the attention it deserves :)

Last edited:
Ok, here's my follow up. I did end up getting the setup in question. It turned out to be a healthways double hose reg that works perfectly (COOL), and a double steel 38 setup. Local dive shop won't fill them because there is a reducer to attach to the manifold. It's all really neat though, and I think a good deal for me at $50! Here are photos: Picasa Web Albums - Ted - Temp Pix

Also, I bought the AL80 from the original link, to be a tank I can use right away while I work on what to do with the "vintage" setup. I'll most likely be selling/trading the older setup for some newer/usable tanks I can use and fill easily.

Greetings Ted buying tanks be pretty safe if you follow the rules afore mentioned in your thread. One thing to always remember when you are buying used gear you will not always get a deal! Sometimes you get the short end of the stick but that is just how it goes. I have gotten some great deals and as long as you keep the perspective on the occasional mistake it is not a big deal.

Do your home work on scuba cylinders before you buy used or new. Be aware of the tank inspections that are required and how to tell they are current.
Beware tanks older than 1989 if they are AL if it is steel then just make sure it is current.
On the older Al 89 or older they require another test, the Eddy Current test which I believe is required every three years.
The reason these tanks require this is because they were made of 6351 alloy which has proven to be more brittle and thus more likely to sustain cracks in the neck.
Those cracks are called sustained load cracks and usually are seen while a visual inspection takes place. Since the yearly VIP inspection rule many tanks are taken out of service before there is any explosion hazard. That is why it is important to keep the tank inspections current.

Why have I taken the time to explain this one of my 6351 a Lux HP 100 jsut failed and in a big way! Scary cracks that were horrifying! I do some of my own fills so I am very careful but it can happen. Buyer beware!
You will not find that cylinder because I helped XXXX it out after I quit shaking my head. It pays to know a visual inspector who I bought the tanks from about 2 years previous. We both were speechless and could not grab the hammer and punch quick enough! It currently is enjoying a recycled life as a pressure pot to test light canisters and other dive gear. I also have a kick butt bell made from a failed steel cylinder.

Good luck and educate yourself and do not be afraid to make a mistake and ask for help here on SB.
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....keep learning!

As someone who works for two fire departments. You are half right. We do have breathing air compressors. We DO NOT have the right fittings to fill SCUBA tanks. Not trying to attack just educate. Firefighting SCBA bottles have what could be considered a reverse DIN style fitting, threads on the outside (think the male side of the conector). I think it would be impressive to find someone come up with the right amount of adapters to make that work. LOL.

Thanks for that information, I've often wondered about getting fills at fire stations. Now I have a new project (too bad I don't have time for it) of putting together the right adapter. I wonder if Trident has something that might work?

CamG. There's nothing like experience talking! Since I'm just getting my feet when when it comes to tank ownership, I know I have a lot to learn. I appreciate you taking the time to share what you know. I was looking at a another local Craigslist post from someone who was selling a bunch of SCUBA/paintball tanks. Scuba tanks Co2 tank and fill stations for paintball

I thought it might be a good deal till I looked at the photo he emailed me. Picasa Web Albums - Ted - SCUBABOARD

Kinda scared me off! I love the look of the Healthways sticker, but don't think I should be interested in any of it for diving. WDUT?

Ted

The adapters already exist. Here's one from Leisure Pro The good news is that "most" scba compressors at a decent fire house are tested for air quality. The dept I used to volunteer with was pumping grade E to over 4500psi.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom