Ocean Engineering and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikums

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am an Ocean Engineering major and newly certified PADI OW Instructor. Will I be able to use my SCUBA skills in my chosen field?

I would believe that as a ocean engineer and attempting to involve scuba diving, your best focus would be creating something to enhance or improve the sport of diving.

Then in return you yourself could scuba dive with that equipment to test it out. But I don't really know much about engineering. Im a stats major myself.
:coffee:

Okay, I've introduced a lot of students to engineering fields, but this is a new one for me...what is an "ocean engineer"?

Nice link, Scott. Much obliged!

The article makes it look like I will get to do some engineering related diving in the future.

"Dr. Ray" McAllister managed to get some diving in with his ocean engineering career

Cirriculum Vitae

He also wrote two good books on diving locations of S Florida

He's still around, you might want to contact him for leads.

I am an Ocean Engineering major and newly certified PADI OW Instructor. Will I be able to use my SCUBA skills in my chosen field?
I had any number of Ocean Engineering types in the program that I ran, I can't say that being a recreational instructor was of any use to any of them, they all still needed to qualify according to AAUS standards to participate in any diving research program that was conducted under the university's auspices. One of them did get in on the initial development of the EDGE diving computer and another did the founding work in our tow tank on BC drag which lead to the development of the first of the modern BCs.

Okay, I've introduced a lot of students to engineering fields, but this is a new one for me...what is an "ocean engineer"?

I'm majoring in Aerospace Science and Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering, and I was wondering the same thing since at most university's courses in fluid dynamics etc. are required as part of your upper division units.

Still, very interesting :) I too an hoping that I'm going to be able to find a common ground between my majors and my love for diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom