For a traveling photographer; Best Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More great info. I think the Demo will be good to see if this is really a level of complication and expense I want to take on. Geez I am still waiting for the Nikon D400 w/HD video to come out which will mean I need a new housing, new strobes....:D

More great info. I think the Demo will be good to see if this is really a level of complication and expense I want to take on. Geez I am still waiting for the Nikon D400 w/HD video to come out which will mean I need a new housing, new strobes....:D

:Dwhy wait when you can get the 5D Mark II now?! ...:wink:

g

I don´t lug around anything more than a S90 with a housing, but I am able to fit my CCR in my carry-on luggage, within weight-limits.

I dive a Pelagian DCCCR, and my travel-rig is slightly modified.

I carry the scrubber and a oxygen-tank as independent doubles, and sidemount a tank of combined diluent/bailout (40-80cf), connected with a Swagelok QC, with an inline shut-off to the ADV, and a hose to the BOV. (as a consequence of this, I run the wing from the O2, as a loss of dil/bo would make oral inflation of the wing very risky)

This worked extremely well both in and out of the water, but I think of sidemounting the oxygen too, as the sidemounted cylinders are not really noticeable during the dive

My only concern with the Poseidon is that it is not "field-repair" friendly. The problem with travel is that if something "breaks" you need to be able to fix it in the field. With the Poseidon, you simply turn it on and it goes through its checks. If everything is okay, you dive. If not, you don't. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a lot you can do in terms of field repair. Also, you have to use Extend Air cartridges which are harder to come by when you travel than sulfnolime/sodasorb. That all having been said, after diving one, they are very nice units for recreational diving and I especially like the large display. Just not my choice for travel.

I had similar concerns when first looking at the unit. If the system fails its pre-dive checks there are actions that you can take to try and remedy the problem. You then re-start the electronics and run the pre-dive again. If the problem is remedied you can then dive. If not, you can't.

Most of the problems that would keep you locked out of the unit while in the field, I wouldn't be comfortable trying to fix on my own - electrical failures and the like. So this makes no difference to me. If it is something more simple like failing a positive pressure test, you can break down the unit and check your seals, etc, before retrying the automated pre-dive checks. Or if your O2 cells aren't calibrating properly you can replace these in the field and then re-try the automated pre-dive check. It seems to be a bit of a misconception that if anything goes wrong with the unit you are locked out of the unit until it can be serviced. Some things can be fixed in the field.

Of course, you are absolutely right that other units would give better access to repairing more technically difficult issues in the field. For me, however, the issues that would lock me out of the unit are also the same issues that I wouldn't feel comfortable addressing on my own.

It would be great if professional service and repair options became more widespread for the unit. Of course, this will depend on how successful the unit sells.

I have had no problem in either domestic or international travel with my Optima. Dive Rite even makes a travel case for the Optima that will fit in an overhead of an aircraft.

Howard --

I still have that travel case for the Optima I won at the DEMA Rebreatherworld party a couple of years ago. I'm diving with Oliver this weekend. Do you want me to bring it and give it to you?

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom