The CCR One Year Later - Some Random Thoughts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took my first breaths on a rebreather last week-end ... actually I tried the Inspiration, rEvo, two different models of Meg, and a KISS Explorer.

I'm afraid I liked it a little bit too much. Probably gonna be saving my pennies for a rEvo or KISS before long ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last time I was at Cove2 I saw a pretty big class of eEvo nOObs. You're lucky to have good CCR support and experienced buddies in Seattle.

Took my first breaths on a rebreather last week-end ... actually I tried the Inspiration, rEvo, two different models of Meg, and a KISS Explorer.

I'm afraid I liked it a little bit too much. Probably gonna be saving my pennies for a rEvo or KISS before long ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ahhhhhh, the force is strong with this one.

Bill

Took my first breaths on a rebreather last week-end ... [...]
I'm afraid I liked it a little bit too much. Probably gonna be saving my pennies [...]

Come to the Dark Side :D (we have cookies!)

1100+ hours on rebreathers and the only time I dive Open Circuit is when I have to...

I have purposefully gone out of my way to avoid any demo days, idle beer chat with current pilots, or any other exposure to breathers. I am deathly afraid that like the cookies, you just can not say no!!!!!
Seriuosly after I get some more deep oc time in I am going to get a breather.
Eric

I am 6 dives into my rebreather course. Today I was at 40m on the wreck of the Zenobia hovering over the "Egg Lories" in total silence. I am starting to understand what is so special about rebreather diving.

There's a curve (love & hate) associated with my experiences on the rebreather. I've been at the other end of the curve for a few years now. The recent deaths of Wes Skiles (knew him) and a female instructor in NJ has me wondering about my overall luck for well over 13 yrs on these machines, my family/friends and the body of work one leaves.

I've been using the RB as a work tool for quite a while now and for recreational solo diving it's mostly OC. The perspective that I take is that they're useful work tools, with way too much maintenance involved and damn sneaky. It's the sneaky part associated with RB proper use that has me thinking I've been lucky and that sooner or later something will bite me in the rear. I've certainly been lucky enough to escape those bad situations on the CCR which have included the Inspiration, KISS, Cis Lunar etc. The Meg has given me little trouble - so far. The electronics on all the afore mentioned units have gone funny, or have died on on occasion.

X

Rick - One thing you didn't comment on that I would like to hear about is what effect or benefit (if any) you're getting from breathing warm, humid gas instead of cold, dessicated gas? That's always seemed like a major appeal of rebreathers to me.

What is the major attraction: bottom time? silence?

IMO Seems like the higher statistical odds of catostophic failure without notification is a large price to pay for the benefits above.

And that is said by me, an engineer who has designed a medical rebreathing gas delivery system. Maybe because I am an engineer and know the (un)reliability of complex electromechanical devices, is what makes me settle for bubbles and less bottom time!

I like you am spooked by Stiles death, and by countless others, some my friends, who i know could have survived an equipment failure on OC system.

Please dont take this as critizing RBers. I believe everyone has the right to make these choices. Life is short, one should live it the way you want. I can see the atractiveness of RB and could appreciate the seduction of increase bottom time w/o bubbles!

Cruisin,

I seem to recall reading Rick's original post a year ago about going to the rebreather, and I believe he chose it because he was getting into 300 foot deep OC dives and found the hassle of all the deco bottles and stages to be worth the hassle of the RB. I am definetly looking down the rebreather route myself in the next couple years for similar reasons.

Jim

The rebreather isn't trying to kill anyone. It's just a group of components. Any of these can break. When the component breaks, it brings a result. Train to monitor and deal with the result of things that break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom