Is a Backplate/wing worth it?

Do you have any trouble with a Backplate/Wing?

• Nope, Go for it, Solid buy

Votes: 70 92.1%
  • Some, Tends to push me when on the surface

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Some, difficult control underwater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Difficult to get used to from a Vest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not what I expected

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...if anyone knows of any simple set ups, with a single tank bracket/wing, let me know

Ask and ye shall receive: BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

Tell them you are an SB member and save an additional 10%.

The OxyCheq wing has these built in "nubs" that allow you to get away without an STA. You should order at least one sex bolt to keep the wing from shifting when changing tanks if you opt to not get an STA.

I'm pretty new to BP/W setup, having just 20 or so dives on mine. No problems with face-plants so far. And, when swimming I feel much more streamlined. I don't have any scientific study to back this, but I can say that I used less air than I ever have.

I have the DSS kydex plate since I was primarily interested in light weight for travel.
DS

halemanō;5406708:
So my question for you is why do you think few things feel as streamlined as a BP/W?

Could you point to any studies or measurements that prove what you feel?

I don't know of (and haven't looked for) any studies, but I do know that I was very impressed with the drastic reduction in drag during surface swims. I wasn't expecting that.

And, for the OP, I've NEVER had a feeling of being pushed headfirst into the water.

go diving with someone who has been using one for a while there are some little tricks but it is the way to go imho .

that and you will die if you don't use a bp/w just kidding !!

I just bought a back plate wing, cant understand what the fuss is about, no real difference from my Scuba pro T Sport BCD, except there is nowhere to put anything! For my money the whole back plate wing thing is vastly over rated, a slim, no frills BCD is just fine, save your money!

If you want it because you want it. Get it.

I love that torso out of the water thing. You're out in the middle of nowhere somewhere and someone looks like they've found a rock.

I've used all systems and I've got all systems and I still use all systems.

For fourty years.

They all work.

And even no systems just a breathing system.

I don't think there is one hard and fast answer, everyone's experience will be different.

For me, the difference was huge. I used to have to kept adjusting my trim underwater with fin kicks in my rear inflate bc which I considered to be so close to a BP/W that I should class them as the same.

With the backplate though, my trim is good everytime, it's like I am suspended by a thread and the only problems I have are self induced.

I have also dropped twice the weight of the backplate in lead too, not sure why, it must be the way the weight is distributed across my back?? :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom