Dry gloves-again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I have put this before but I have some specific questions.

I have a hard time keeping my hands warm. I have looked at, what I think, are all the options.

Is there a lot of "hand squeeze" in a pair of Nordic Blue gloves-the make without the lock ring? I have heard divers complain about hand sqeeze-is it that terrible?. In addition, I would think that there would minimal insulation in these gloves due to compression at depth. Is the risk of a tear in these latex gloves very high? Even though it wouldn't compromise my suit seal(since they are not a lock ring type) if they tore, my hand would just about freeze off in ice water by the time I got to the surface.

I want to be able to use my camera underwater. I need some degree of manual dexterity. Bob3 mentioned 3 fingered mitts. I have a pair of 5mil 3 fingered mitts and I think they are the warmest option-also neoprene seems the most durable. But I don't have much manual dexterity with them relative to a latex glove. And Bob3 mentioned putting "donuts" on my mitt cuffs but I don't know what they are. I have a pair of 5mil. neoprene gloves but I seem to have less dexterity than the mitts-they certainly arent' as warm.

Another option I thought of was a best of both worlds: A pair of 3mil. gloves with donuts(I do need some sort of extra help in the seal department since I have such skinny wrists). I don't know what the thermal difference is between 3 and 5mil. but the dexerity is noticable. Are 3mil that much cooler than 5mil?? Maybe at depth(compression) but not in shallower water-huh??

I just don't want to buy every glove and mitt in the world before I find one that works for me......but I have resigned myself to the fact that I might just have to try out all the options and see what works best for me.

Thanks for relies.

Mike

I'm heading out to WI tomorrow (Monday, the 24th) & may be able to dig up a pair of the 3-finger mitts I had out there. I can send them to you to try out, and if they work, you can get your own from Ocean Ray down in FL.
My kids might've gotten to them though, they're ruthless when it comes to collecting dive gear. (Dad won't mind... *snicker*)
Keep in mind that gloves & mitts are a personal preference thing, what works for me may not work for everyone else. I have very wide hands & these mitts I had made because I'd wear 'em 10-11 hrs/day, 7 days/week & needed something that would allow me sufficient dexterity to crank up a couple hundred bolts while keeping me warm & not cramping up the hands. No small task.
Well wish me luck, I'm off to the frozen tundra!!
:cold:

Buff

A couple of answers. First, I use my nordic blue's alot and love them. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that they could be specially ordered with the ring system if you wanted to go that route (I have latex seals). They are a very heavy duty glove and have stood up well to the constant interactions with zebra mussels and rocks, etc, around here. I have not had any leaks, but have only been using them for part of a season (since it has become too cold for my 5 fingered kevlar gloves). If you do develop a leak, you would not have the warmth of a neoprene glove to fall back on, but the construction of these gloves is substatial (for a latex glove)

The amount of squeeze is totally dependent on a few things. First of all, assuming you will not use any method to equilize them, it all depends on how much air you put in them and how deep you will be diving. i.e.....if you are diving to 60 feet, you should be able to fill them ahead of time with enough air to comfortably work at depth, however they will be quite clumsy and difficult at the surface with that much air.

There are ways to add an equilizing system to these gloves to increase you depth. I have heard of divers using small sections of coffee stir sticks under the two latex seals, in order to let enough air in to feel comfortable.....bottom line, it is more of a production than simple wet gloves.

As far as warmth, they are lined with a sort of fleecy type cotton liner. If that is not enough warmth, there is usually enough room inside (provided you get a large enough size), to wear light cotton gloves etc, but usually not enough room for good fleece gloves. I find that mine keep me much warmer than heavy neoprene gloves, but even after a long dive, my hands are starting to get cold.

Apparently there is a kevlar-knit overglove available from Helios for the ultimate in protection. There are other companies that makes a great similar product for glass and sheet metal factories.

Dexterity is good, probably better than a 3-fingered glove?, but not as good as a proper fitting 5-fingered wet-glove. I use many tools and instruments underwater and do not have a problem......However, they have their place. When the water is warmer, there is no decision making needed, my neoprene gloves are much simpler, cheaper and can take a beating. When the weather gets a little frosty however, I wouldn't consider being without them.

Hopefully there are divers in your area with a pair...just to try them out.

Hope this helps

Hmmmm.....

I've used those type of dry gloves in the past (I think DUI made them). Didn't like how hard they were to put on with just the latex seal and they tended to leak often.

Kind of partial to the docking ring and dry glove that Viking makes for their suits (and others I suppose). I use that system with a silk liner covered by a knit glove. They keep my fingers toasty warm down to temps of 36 degrees.

I figure, if you are diving dry, then dive dry. Why introduce neoprene wetsuit gloves/mitts??

Just my opinon :)

Originally posted by jmsdiver
Hmmmm.....

I've used those type of dry gloves in the past (I think DUI made them). Didn't like how hard they were to put on with just the latex seal and they tended to leak often.

Just my opinon :)

I use the nordic blue with the latex seals. and some of my friends also do that. latex on latex seems like a bad idea (many many leaks and so on) if you are using latex seals on your suit, get a ring system ! thats the best advice i can give to you on that.

if you use neoprene seals on your drysuitm get the latex gloves, they are fantastic ;-) dont do the mistake of getting ringseals for your neoprene suit.

on to of the questions was on the subject on how to avoid squeeze.
well first of is my undergarment, it has special flaps made for just this purpose but buying an undergarment for avoiding squeeze ? nah not realistic, however there is a easily made device made from ... sport socks
take a sock and put it on your hand cut of the tip of the sock and make a hole for the thumb viola you have an equalising system, the air will go under your seal and out to the glove through the sock and equalize.. cheap, easy and functional !

just make shure it doesnt strech and hurt the area between the thumb and rest of the fingers. then its no fun to dive with it

I think this method is preferable to some other like tubing and sticking things wich might make the latex seals leak. and if a leak is encountered you dont get nearly as wet as you would if using tubing.

Greets for this trick goes out to the couple Myréns who tought me this.

take care and happy diving

I agree with Hobbs. I think the ring system is great. I use 2 pair of thin, wool, army surplus gloves underneath and have never had cold hands. Nor have I lost much dexterity. (wouldn't wanna' try watch repair, though.) I use the surgical tubing for equalization. Yes, if you get a leak the tubing will allow more water in than Hobbs' system.

It'd be nice if you could find someone in your area that would let you try out a ring system so you'd have some means of comparison.

Just a thought. I was looking through one of my snowmobile parts catalogs (because with the lack of snow around here I might as well go arm-chair sledding), and came across aluminized-fabric glove liners. I.e., heat reflective. At $6.95 I may try a pair to see if it increases comfort for those long cold dives.

Originally posted by bio guy
Just a thought. I was looking through one of my snowmobile parts catalogs (because with the lack of snow around here I might as well go arm-chair sledding), and came across aluminized-fabric glove liners. I.e., heat reflective. At $6.95 I may try a pair to see if it increases comfort for those long cold dives.
just watch out for the problem with moist
fx there are som emergency blankets that is heat reflektive, the problem with them are that the moist cannot escape and you get very very wet from swetting. So if you are going to use those gloves or parts of them make shure they are not direktly at the skin, use some cotton between the foil part and the skin that can soak up the moist.
moist may lead to faster cooling.

good luck

aluminized-fabric glove liners.
The standard Viking glove liner is one of that flavor.
Not sure if they work, reflective insulation requires an air space. (like the foil lined wetsuits), tee hee.
The ones I have here are made by KOMBI http://www.kombisports.com/
They don't have their "ingredients" listed. They're cut pretty small, too.

Good point about the moisture. These are supposed to be a "aluminized fabric"..If they are a cotton knit with simply strands of aluminun woven in, then it shouldn't be too bad. I think I'll try a pair anyway and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom