Si Tech Permanent Wrist Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kern

Contributor
Reaction score
I'v just had a set installed. The inner rings that hold the wrist seal onto the outer ring works extremely well. Short of some neat trick, or a whole lot of main force, I'd say they're there to stay.

I need to remove one of the inner rings. If you use the system & have any suggestions on the best way to go about that it would be very helpful.

Trim your fingernails, and be patient. If the rings were put in without the benefit of lubrication they will be extremely tight and hard to get out. Push the wrist seal back into the suit so you can try to remove the ring itself without pulling on the wrist seal at all. When you put them back together I would encourage you to lubricate the seals with a watered down baby shampoo, or something similar.

Trim your fingernails, and be patient. If the rings were put in without the benefit of lubrication they will be extremely tight and hard to get out. Push the wrist seal back into the suit so you can try to remove the ring itself without pulling on the wrist seal at all. When you put them back together I would encourage you to lubricate the seals with a watered down baby shampoo, or something similar.

Hi Mark, when I said, "short of some neat trick, or a whole lot of main force, I'd say they're there to stay", I was referring to the inner ring, not the seal itself. Apologies for not making that clearer in the OP. I couldn't even imagine pulling on a seal to remove something like this. I'm only touching the inner ring in my attempts to remove it so far.

Thanx for the lubrication tip, I'll use it when I re install. From what you'v said, it appears that main force will indeed be required to remove the inner ring. My problem with this to date is getting a good enough grip on the inner ring with my hands. I'm not sure the material they're made of would stand up to something that would give me a little mechanical advantage to grip them tight enough.

I had that problem once. Took me all of 2 minutes to install a thickish wrist seal, and nearly 55 minutes to get the ring to finally come loose in a rather obsene display of unknown human facial expressions, contortions, and dexterity.

In the end, I used a slightly thinner wrist seal after that event. It's loose enough that I can very easily remove the rings with little effort when I want to, and tight enough that it doens't pop loose when I don't want it to. ... as opposed to the standard Fusion seals that are too thin to make a seal to begin with.

While it doesn't help you with your question, if you want to avoid this in the future, ask Mike a DRIS what I (Shawn) used and he can send you a pair if he's got a pair (no pun intended).

Thanks,
Shawn

DON'T USE TOOLS! Fingertips only, and if the things were put together without lubrication be ready for those fingertips to hurt.

If I understand what you are talking about, you are talking about the system where the thick and only slightly flexible rubberized gizmo is glued directly to the end of the sleeve of the suit. To attach the wrist seal you need some smaller stiff plastic rings and the seals themselves. Removing that smaller stiff plastic ring, and the wrist seal is what you are talking about, yes?

Tools of any kind might scratch the permanent parts and cause leaks. When lubricated they are pretty easy to work with, but dry they are a lot harder.

Just found some instructions.

http://www.sitech.se/files/documents/products/60000/quick cuff.pdf

With the rings attached to a suit & my small hands I just couldn't manage it with plan A. So I went to plan B, "Or use a narrow screw driver to pry them apart, (3C)".

Don't go at it like bull at a gate, make sure the seal doesn't get caught between the screw driver & the ring. I put the cuff, edge down on a solid surface & applied some pressure to the rear of the flexible outer ring, this separated the 2 rings a little at the other edge. This made it easier to ensure the seal wasn't in the way. It came out quite easy, no apparent damage to the system.

Mark, I didn't like the idea of using a tool, especially a screw driver, but using my fingers & thumbs just wasn't going to work. So I decided to bit the bullet & give it a go.

Brand new suit arrived yesterday, and being one of those types who immedately has to take new toys apart I set out removing the seals just to figure out how it works.

After struggling with it for a while (ow, my fingers!) including trying the screwdriver method, I finally came across this video that helped:

video SiTechDockingAndQCPsystem - YouTube

Basically, the trick is to bend the suit ring flange (the part that the fabric is adhered to) down and in -- once I did that the inner ring popped right out, no pain involved! I worked from behind the ring (i.e. the opening of the cuff was facing away from me) so that I had 6 fingers on the narrow outer lip, and used my thumbs to press the ring down and out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom