Guess who and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cylinder on the right looks to have a rubber wheel screw for the yoke clamp which to me makes it latter. DA Aquamaster has the same type of screw.

Tracked it to a specific shoot, well done Walter! My guess was 1968 by what I thought was a Calypso J regulator. Looks like it was earlier after all. My J valve performance was pretty uneven, how about everyone elses? My J valves were on USD tanks, never used a Calypso J although they used to be pretty popular. Submersible pressure gage development was a very useful thing.

I'm not so sure those are handles so much as the knob for tightening the band. Anyone know for sure about this?

Yes, Voit made backpacks.

The year of manufacture of the reg only means that was the earliest the picture could have been taken, and really has no bearing on the specific year of the photograph. IOW, a photo of me diving could show me using one of my 1960s DA Aqua-Masters, yet the actual year of the photo would be 2010. Follow?

Duckbill, you mean the handles actually turn? Sounds like another reason to hate them :wink:

I mean I don't think they were designed to be carrying handles, but I could be wrong.

I believe that those were adjusting screws which allowed the bands, in two pieces and pleated, to be adjusted for different sized tanks. They are not carrying handles, and I have a similar knob on a Scubapro back pack which looks almost identical to those in the photos. That would mean that they were in the time period where aluminum tanks had started, with a larger size.

SeaRat

I believe that those were adjusting screws which allowed the bands, in two pieces and pleated, to be adjusted for different sized tanks. They are not carrying handles, and I have a similar knob on a Scubapro back pack which looks almost identical to those in the photos. That would mean that they were in the time period where aluminum tanks had started, with a larger size.

SeaRat

I'm sure your right I remember those "cam handle" backpacs. I was envious of those mine had a eye bolt to hold the band together. Lloyd doesn't have a reg on his tank?

Last edited:
The photo was upstairs at UNEXSCO on Grand Bahama Island a few weeks back. Unfortunately, there was no label or year provided for when it was taken. Jeff was born in 1949, he appears to be less than 20. So, between that and the time when the Calypso J came out I would still guess the late 1960's. If Walter recognizes the shoot then I have to defer to his estimate although if that is a Calypso J it seems to be a real early one if this was shot around 1966.

We used to get some variants of that type of backpack mounting band through the dive shop in the early 1970's. John describes how they work well from my recollection.

The winner wins a self-paid trip to wherever he feels like going! Actually, the weekend trip to Lucaya on Grand Bahama Island was a real eye opener. Very reasonable cruise ship and hotel package, lots of wrecks, real clear (125 ft. blue water viz.), lots of sharks and all less than a mile out right in front of the hotel. A great weekend away out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Trip report with details, photos and video in preparation.

Here's a short unprocessed clip from the Pygmy Caves complete with some sharks near the end:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9817

RickI:
If Walter recognizes the shoot

I don't. I made my guess based on the fact Lloyd rarely dived when he wasn't filming a show with diving. Around the World Under the Sea came out in 1966, Beau and Jeff look to be about the right age for 1966.

I saw Around the World Under the Sea at the Arcade Theater in downtown Fort Myers. The only two things I remember about it (I was 10) is Lloyd was in it and it was the first time I saw a single hose regulator. I thought they looked really funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom