Any source for triple manifolds out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with vintage triple manifolds is they are about all exclusively 1/2" taper pipe thread.
That's why I discussed how to make a triple set without a triple manifold on the first page of this thread. It's getting pretty hard to get a manifold for triples without making something like Captain did.

SeaRat

The problem with vintage triple manifolds is they are about all exclusively 1/2" taper pipe thread.

I don't suppose there's enough of a difference between a 1/2" NPT and 3/4" NPSM to make an adapter out of an old J or K valve? I was thinking if you just cut an old valve off near the tank neck, then drilled it out to 23/32" and tapped it you'd have a quick and easy way to hook up one of those old manifolds to a modern tank.

Yes, divers used bushings for many years, but they are not well accepted nowadays. There's nothing wrong with a good, pressure-rated bushing. Steel and stainless work fine, but I don't know if brass would be such a good idea. Most shops would not fill a bushed tank.

The manifold is fairly easy to fabricate. I do most of the work on a lathe but a good fabricator could do almost as well with just hand tools and elbow grease.

Yes, divers used bushings for many years, but they are not well accepted nowadays. There's nothing wrong with a good, pressure-rated bushing. Steel and stainless work fine, but I don't know if brass would be such a good idea. Most shops would not fill a bushed tank.
Bushings were used in the early days when many scuba tanks were converted fire extinguisher bottles.

SeaRat

Bushings were used in the early days when many scuba tanks were converted fire extinguisher bottles.

SeaRat

You can see some of those bushings on the black tanks behind the Delta Triples in that B&W photo above. They were readily available NPT bushings with tapered pipe-to-pipe threads though. Do you know of an O-ring sealed straight thread adapter? It would be nice if you could at least buy a plug for an O-ring sealed ¾ NPT straight thread Scuba cylinder and bore it out for whatever smaller diameter thread you like.

Back
Top Bottom