Knife placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhinton0002

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I am a recreational Divemaster "flirting" with the idea of venturing into technical diving. I have ordered a Transplate (SS 15") with a Transplate harness, and a Voyager EXP (single tank) donut style wing. Just wanna log some bottom time becoming familiar with the equipment. Plan to spend the next dive season developing the muscle memory and comfort in the equipment within recreational limits and will move forward with training when Im ready. Just looking for some advice on little things like "knife placement" I plan to install the 16# dive rite weight pockets on the harness belt.....not sure if it will leave much room there. Inflator hose?? Would prefer to keep the sheers/knife off my legs (knife dosen't help when your legs are entangled) Just a little friendly advice please.

Thanks
Danny

Hello. Following the DIR suggestions you should place your knife on your harness belt - it is important that the knife should be within reach of both hands. I use also spare knife placed on inflator hose, also within reach of both hands. It is nonsense to place the knife on your leg as you have wrote.

On your belt, just left of the buckle. Along with taking up a lot of space on your belt, how will that much weight on your belt affect your trim?

Not to get too far ahead; however, If you are making the move into tech diving you need to be looking at doubles not singles. Tech dives run in the 150-300 foot range so a single is not the way to go. Now back to our question, I place my primary knife on the belt, just right of the crotch strap and left of the buckle. I also carry a pair of shears (steel fishing line and knifes dont mix). Are you bouncing your ideas for tech equipment off of other tech divers or just getting what you think is best? When I took my tech classes the instructors were very insistant on certain gear requirements. Now these gear configs will vary depending upon the agency used for certs so be careful about what you purchase. Just my 2 cents

Not to get too far ahead; however, If you are making the move into tech diving you need to be looking at doubles not singles. Tech dives run in the 150-300 foot range so a single is not the way to go. Now back to our question, I place my primary knife on the belt, just right of the crotch strap and left of the buckle. I also carry a pair of shears (steel fishing line and knifes dont mix). Are you bouncing your ideas for tech equipment off of other tech divers or just getting what you think is best? When I took my tech classes the instructors were very insistant on certain gear requirements. Now these gear configs will vary depending upon the agency used for certs so be careful about what you purchase. Just my 2 cents
It's best to practice things in singles, then migrate to doubles. There's no need to go doubles first.

Its not a question of practicing in singles or doubles. My tech rigs cost about 10k more than my single rigs so unless he has money to burn he may want to rent tech gear (if he can) before he spends alot of money on things he won't be able to use in class or get his money back out of. Besides the skills he needs to practice are skills specific to wearing doubles like isolating manifolds and other things. All in all he can do what he wants just passing on some life lessons

This is just the kinda advice I was looking for. To clarify, the "16#" pockets are max weight of eight pounds in each pocket. Also, I have done the last few hundred dives in a Jacket-style BC. It's all Ive ever known. While I know technical diving will require doubles, alot of new gear, tons of training and hundreds of hours underwater, I would love to make the transition at a comfortable rate and become quite comfortable with wings and a backplate before I task load myself to death. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and please keep it coming!!!

Thanks

Danny

The XS Scuba weight pockets are cheap, and will let you get some of that weight onto your cam bands if you need it higher to trim out in your single tank. Once you get into doubles, you might end up needing to move the weight lower, rather than higher.

Its not a question of practicing in singles or doubles. My tech rigs cost about 10k more than my single rigs so unless he has money to burn he may want to rent tech gear (if he can) before he spends alot of money on things he won't be able to use in class or get his money back out of. Besides the skills he needs to practice are skills specific to wearing doubles like isolating manifolds and other things. All in all he can do what he wants just passing on some life lessons
Turning a knob doesn't require tons of practice.

He needs to learn situational and buddy awareness. If you can learn those two things, you can tech dive. They're the most mentally difficult, everything else is a matter of practice.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom