Advice on Aquatica D90 housing with Sea & Sea strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howertonz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Getting ready to purchase a set up for my Nikon D90 (my first DSLR purchase). Wondering if I left anything out or if I am reduntant on anything. Any advice greatly appreciated!
20063-DB Aquatica housing with double strobe connectors
20023 Aquatica Moisture Alarm
Tokina 10-17mm lens
18410 Aquatica 4” Mini Dome 100, BK-7 coated glass (includes dome shade
and neoprene cover)
18456 Aquatica Extension for the Tokina 10-17mm
18722 Aquatica Zoom gear for the Tokina 10-17mm
17506 Aquatica Strobe Arms
17550 Aquatica base bracket
50117 Sea & Sea TTL converter
17100 Sea and Sea sync cord
2-Sea & Sea strobes (YS-110a or YS-01)

Howertonz,

I would be suggesting that you put the 100mm Mini dome on hold and buy the 8 inch dome or larger first. Especially since you have stated before that your mainly shooting Sandtigers and wrecks. The larger domes dont have issues with corner sharpness at say f8, as you would with the 100mm, espically if your having your strobes out wide for coverage on large subject like the sharks.

On the other hand the mini domes are great for Close Focus Wide Angle as they dont have corner sharpness issues at say f14. You can also get alot closer to the subject and position strobes closer to put more light on the subject.

Have a read of this review as it explains alot about the mini domes: Thoughts on Mini Domes :: Wetpixel.com

If your into shooting wide angle and mainly Sharks/wrecks and your preference of Strobes is Sea & Sea I would recommend that you have a good look at a pair of YS-250pro's.
They are more expensive but they are big powerful strobes which are perfect for the type of shooting that your doing (mainly sharks and wrecks). If your going to getthem I recommend ULCS bouyancy arms (2x 8 inch either side) to keep the setup balanced in the water.

I wouldnt bother with the TTL converter if your starting out with wide angle , just try shooting manual strobes (full power). Use the money to buy the YS-250pro's. Look at the TTL for when you get your Macro lens.

Hope this helps,

Regards Mark

Just went there and read the whole article. Thanks so much! Now I will not go with the mini dome or the TTL converter. You are becoming my scuba board guru!

I have to say, the mini dome is a real personal preference. Personally, I love my mini dome and for much of the stuff I shoot, it works great. I cannot beat the size of the dome and ease of traveling. There are some things to take into consideration when shooting the mini dome, or else the results will not be to mosts' liking.

As for TTL, its definitely fantastic for macro, and only so so for WA...so if WA is your primary style, then try it without...but DEFINITELY go with 250s if you can, you will greatly appreciate the nearly non-existent recycle time, and also the additional power of the 110a strobes when shooting the Tokina lens.

Another option for strobes is the Ikelite DS160/161. I prefer them as they have a warmer light output than Sea & Sea and Inon. The DS161 also has 15w LED video light built into the strobe which I think is suited to the HD video of the D90. They are priced between the YS -110a and the Ys-250pro. The downside is that they are a heavy strobe and bouyancy arms are needed.

I use the Ds125's which are the same size with 2 pairs of ULCS 8inch bouyancy arms and the whole setup feels nice in the water with 8 inch dome. Its slightly negative. Going to replace the current DS125's with the Ds161 soon hopefully.

I would also put on the list a good focusing light for when you go macro (60mm is my first choice).

Maybe try out an external viewfinder at a later date. I just bought one myself.

Regards Mark

I shoot with DS-160 myself and love them, but from the look of is shopping list, he is looking into a compact easy to travel kit, substitute the 4" with a 8", the YS-110a for YS-250 + charger+ spare battery and boy, slim strobe arms for large buoyancy ones and you have a huge difference both in price and in size. I would consider the 6" as an alternate (or keep the 4" if you feel tied up for suitcase space) and hang on to the YS-110a which altought I have used but a few time only, did find them to perform rather well with the 10-17mm.

I agree with Mark on a good quality focus light, after buying about every inimaginable cheap focus light on the market and constantly being fustrated, I got a Sola 600 recently and have been smiling ever since, it has three power setting from low power focus light to very powerful (for Video) and is really small and light (a rare thing to find), it has a built in red diode array, I don't do enough night dive myself to fully apreciate this feature but some of you will I'm sure.

The enhanced view finder is really nice but not essential, it's one of those things that will not improve the images quality per say as its not part of the optical path itself, but once you try one of those on, I dare you to want to give it back:D, its quality of life, not esential, but always welcome.

Thanks to everyone with out this forum (and Internet), I would be lost! I read all your posts and anything else I can to educate myself. I am pretty set on the Sea & Sea strobes. I used them on my first set up (complete Sea & Sea set up) that I just sold. I have read all the reviews (thanks for posting the links), now I have to decide between the 6" & the 8" dome. I am definetely going to buy the Aquatica housing, the Tokina 10-17mm lens and the Nikkor 60mm. I love my new Nikon D90 that I just got!

I love the d90. We have had great success with the 60mm glass and the 10.5 fe topside. I dont know how they work underwater because I have been waiting since June 18th for my Aquatica housing. So far I am not impressed with customer service or responce. My dealer has been as helpful as they can but I am still with out housing. Order soon if you are going to need it any time soon.

I love the d90. We have had great success with the 60mm glass and the 10.5 fe topside. I dont know how they work underwater because I have been waiting since June 18th for my Aquatica housing. So far I am not impressed with customer service or responce. My dealer has been as helpful as they can but I am still with out housing. Order soon if you are going to need it any time soon.

I assure you the issue is not with D90 housing supply as we have been shipping them reguarly, it most likely stems from other issues which are out of the scope of this forum. if you would like more info, you can PM me and we will try and figure out where the hangup comes from and find a cure for it, I certainly would want you to be underwater by now with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom