Waxing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had their underarms waxed? I'm thinking about trying it. I don't like the dark shadow that's always there even though you just shaved. If you wax there, did it hurt a lot?? Worse than eyebrow wax? And how long was it until the regrowth became obvious? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone had their underarms waxed? I'm thinking about trying it. I don't like the dark shadow that's always there even though you just shaved. If you wax there, did it hurt a lot?? Worse than eyebrow wax? And how long was it until the regrowth became obvious? Thanks in advance.

Waxing is way better than shaving the underarms, but it takes time (years) to get good results (finer, sparser hair). It would be best to start right after the summer and keep it up all year to start to see results for next summer - and then keep it up throughout the years. Otherwise, the hair growth will be obvious this summer and you may not want to wait for it to reach a quarter inch. It is painful, but 2 or 3 pulls and you're done. About the same as eyebrows or bikini. It gets less painful as the hair gets finer and sparser. I used to wax my underarms every 3 - 4 weeks, which was twice as often as my legs or bikini (6 - 8 weeks). I found the underarm waxing less effective than other areas.

Then I switched to laser hair removal and it was the best thing I ever did. Excellent results from the first treatment and more than 95% hair free after package treatments. Some touch-ups and 98% hair free. The few hairs that remain are so fine and sparse that you cannot see them without looking closely. I never have to even think about hair removal and it's awesome and well worth it! :wink:

LASER!!

If you are going to put up with the discomfort of underarm waxing, you might as well bite the bullet and get them lasered.

Warning though... after a couple treatments, you don't pay attention to your pits anymore, and then you will be wearing a strapless dress, look down, and have 7 hairs that are 3 inches long.

thanks ladies. how expensive is laser for underarms.........approximately?? for this upcoming vacation......i've got plenty of time to do the waxing........i can easily avoid wearing sleeveless tops to allow enough growth for waxing. how many days before my trip should i have it done? eyebrow waxing doesn't bother me. i had a bikini wax once, and the lady didn't do any trimming first.........THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE so painful......have never had another one.......been using nair/razor.

I don't know about underarm laser treatments, but a male friend of mine was looking into having his back done (don't ask.) Anyway, he told me that this is not a one-shot deal, either... it's a series of treatments over time. It works best on light skin/dark hair.

Laser is a huge investment, it takes time and it's not for everyone. Your complexion matters and it usually can't be done over the summer.

I always hated shaving. I even cut myself -accidentally of course-. The hair grows stronger after you shave. You get rash and pain when the hair starts growing, especially in the armpits! Waxing is *not* as painful as you might think. Well, I am a total baby in that I get very tense even when I get a flu shot and I am telling you: waxing is not bad at all. You might get microwavable ones or wax strips.

Some important tips though: *Do not ever* use sugar based ones. Stay away from them. Whichever kind you use, wait at least 15 seconds after you apply. If you're using microwavable ones apply a *very very* thin layer. And pull *very* hard and *very* quick.

You might also try waxing your lower legs first, that's the area that hurts least.

Waxing lasts longer, the results are amazing, still cheaper than laser, exfoliates the skin and causes cell renewal.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I think I will try the waxing. I'll let the lady who does my eyebrows do it, not gonna do it myself. Will it make my underarms red for a day or two or not?

No, you should be fine. I used to get waxed the day before I went away. The same day is fine too.

However, since you don't know yet how sensitive your skin is or if you react to the type of wax being used, you might want to do it at least the day before just to make sure you don't have any visible irritation. I always found I had the best results with professional cream waxes.

I also used to wear more sleeveless or tank tops right after waxing and then switch to t-shirts/non-sleeveless tops after a few weeks until I had enough growth to wax again. It worked out pretty well.

Later, I justified the short-term cost of laser with the long-term cost of waxing for life. Laser is way cheaper over the lifetime cost, even if you get your waxing done at a cheap place, like I did. I paid $500 Cdn in 2004 for 8 underarm laser treatments with an excellent, high wavelength true laser machine. It was the first year with the new machines that darker skin and black hair could be treated with laser in the Toronto area. The best machines are way cheaper now in metropolitan areas.

Back
Top Bottom