Multiple E-mail Notifications for PM's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you guys sure it's not a problem with mail program collecting your email ~ for example if using Outlook Express and one of your .dbx folders is more than 2GB, it'll collect the same email over and over again until you delete a few emails to make space for new emails in your Inbox. Worth a check maybe ?

I don't think so. I don't know about PMs (I don't get any), but I have been receiving a random number (between 1 and around 8) of separate "new post in a thread" notifications. Nothing to do with my Inbox.

Nope, it's a problem on SB's end. Almost every PM generates at least three e-mails... Pretty annoying.

I've been having the same issue for a few months but with new posts to threads.
I'm using Excite for my email and have gotten anywhere up to 12 duplicate emails.

Go to User CP,
Edit Options

The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.
Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages

Unclick this selection and voila, no more e-mails!

Are you guys sure it's not a problem with mail program collecting your email ~ for example if using Outlook Express and one of your .dbx folders is more than 2GB, it'll collect the same email over and over again until you delete a few emails to make space for new emails in your Inbox. Worth a check maybe ?

I thought the same thing at first, but I only get duplicates of sb emails. There was a post in the past from one of the mods that explained the issue. I'll see if I can find it.

Your check for Outlook Express might be a good idea... but....

it's not individual email setup. This has been happening for a LONG time and this isn't the first thread on it.

1.) If it was individual email setup, then not everyone would be having that problem (unless they all had their email setup wrong).

2.) Not everyone uses the same email program. Some use Outlook, Outlook Express, some use web mail, some use other 3rd party email programs, some use Blackberry, etc. Some use Windows as their OS, some use other OS's such as Unix, Linux and mobile computing OS's. It's happening all across those platforms.... so it's not the application/os.

3.) It's not happening on other vBulletion run forum that we are members of or with other applicatons and emails from others.

4.) The only common thing is Scubaboard.

so It's got to be something with configuration issues here. plain and simple.

from the thread in March. It sounds like they do not know how to fix it. With the lawsuit on his hands, I'm willing that this takes a backseat for netdoc. I think it's just easier for us to disable email notification for now.

I located a "suspect" version of our email command. I've corrected that.

We'll see what happens.

I don't know why it would be coming through multiple servers. Right now. I've done what I can do. The only suggestion from beyond me is to try unsubscribing and then re-subscribe to the threads.

The only other solution is to change the delivery of the e-mail from PHP to our popmail, which causes AOL and Bellsouth.net people to not receive their e-mail at all.

With that said. I have someone else who is looking into this problem, but he will not be able to do so for at least a week from tomorrow.

Merged with other thread.

At this time, a solution has not yet been found. Still working on it.

Back
Top Bottom