computer in a pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j.doe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Everyone

My wife just got a new Tusa Zen dive comp for her birthday. What is the general concensus about using a diver computer in a pool for practice purposes? I would assume that you would need to wash it off after one is done so that it is chlorine free.

Is this likely to damage it? Previously I have tested my gear in the clearer mountain lakes but that is not really possible here.

She wants to test it before taking the plung in the lakes around here because the visibility is quite limited and it makes having your buddy help you difficult at best.

Let the feedback begin.

She Should not have any Problems, If she rinses the equipment off with fresh water after.
I sometime use my gear to clean my pool, And I have not had any problems with my computer.
I have a Sherwood Wisdom Air Intergrated Computer.

Maybe it's just my luck, but I've been thru 2 Cobra II's. They get used alot in the pool doing DSDs. I believe their demise had something to do with the AI trying to constantly do the calculations when depending on how many DSD are in the session, could be alot of bouncing up and down. Somehow this seems to lock up the computer, at least that's my best guess. Suunto can't explain it. I've got a Cobra III now but if I use it in the pool, I'll keep it in gauge mode. So if she practices in the pool and rinses properly etc, she should be fine, but if she's going to do alot of up and down regularly, you may want to think about that.

Depending on the depth of the pool you might need to see if you can manually activate the computer as well. Might not be deep enough for it to auto enable.

My two Uwatec Aladins have been going in the pool for 3-4 years, now, at least once a month. I am a firm believer in what the military calls "train as you will fight". In this case, going into the pool without your full kit robs you of training opportunity, however slight that item might be.

Hey Everyone

My wife just got a new Tusa Zen dive comp for her birthday. What is the general concensus about using a diver computer in a pool for practice purposes? I would assume that you would need to wash it off after one is done so that it is chlorine free.

Is this likely to damage it? Previously I have tested my gear in the clearer mountain lakes but that is not really possible here.

She wants to test it before taking the plung in the lakes around here because the visibility is quite limited and it makes having your buddy help you difficult at best.

Let the feedback begin.

Just rinse it off with fresh water.

Basically about the only thing is should do is eat the batteries quicker if you are using it in the pool frequently such as an instructor would do and it is water activated. If it is a manually activated computer then it would simply require the same care you'd give the rest of your regulator once leaving the water.

Always wash gear when its used in the pool. Chlorine is very destructive on scuba gear. Its also damaging to pool toys and other items we use frequently in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom