the DIR moniker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR = Doing it Rite? maybe that would help...

Well, now I'm just seeing a connection to a different dive manufacturer. Just can't win these days, can you :rofl3:

OH CRAP! I don't dive with any of the rite gear... does that mean i've been diving wrong this whole time?!??!?

how many pages did it take for someone to comment on that joke :wink:

fwiw:

I love all diving. monkey, dubs, sidemount, angle-of-death-box (actually more of a cylindrical shape) I've even been known to use a snorkel!

I have a cert that says I can go to 330+ with helium. I have a card that says i can do it on CCR... I even have one card that says I can do it DIR :wink:

I like diving with safe divers... I've been called the pied piper of GUE and little blue H's, but i'm not exclusive... and the way i see it, the more people i dive with the more opportunities there are to win over the hearts and minds of the masses... and well... if you want the real truth (Lamont will back me up here) i've always been very up front about it...

i like to dive more than the average person, I like to shoot video underwater more than the average diver. I like to shoot video of stuff with lots of lights underwater, so i need more than just one or two dive buddies that can work as a team to help with off axis lighting... so i'm constantly trying to make more... I will gather them from wherever i can get them and try to raise them up into good team divers... it is a means to an end... :wink:

------------

thanks for the uh... comments... I was not offended either before or after, hell, i work in the OR, ya divers can't hold a candle to a room full of nurses.... speaking of the OR, ya, you should see me in the OR, i'm that crotchety old scrub thats been doing it so long and still takes it seriously enough that even the attending surgeon will listen from time to time... not often, but occasionally... and then says something like "is ratchet your middle name?" (just kidding, i try my best to make the OR a better place for everyone, especially the patient)

• Jacques bitter court battle with Jean Michel over the commercial use of their common last name
  • Brett Gilliam/Joe Odom vs Michael Menduno/Aquacorps over The Call of the Wah Wah
    - Special mention to Bob Raimo for almost getting killed and for dragging Tom Mount into the drama
    - Extra points to Brett Gilliam for elegantly striking back with a write up that's included in the Extended Range and Intro to Trimix training manual
  • George Irvine III vs the rest of the world for coining the term DIR and for his contagious zeal in preaching Rule #1: "the new piece of standard DIR equipment is a body bag, to be used if you break rule #1" (quoting/paraphrasing from memory)
  • Gary Gentile vs John Chatterton/Richie Kohler over who owns U-869
  • The Seeker vs The Wahoo over who owns the north Atlantic and for wanting to become the next Merrimac and Monitor
  • Jarrod Jablonski vs Barry Miller over Salvo and the alleged unfulfilled promises of partnership of Miller into Halcyon
  • George Irvine III vs Andrew Georgitsis over scooters, drysuit dump valves, ratio deco, etc.
And I'm sure the list could go on and on including people from all sides of different philosophies. All the people mentioned above have outstanding achievements in diving. All of them are fallible human beings just like you and I. In their epic dramas listed above, these "diving gods" had much more at stake while battling their conflicts than what you and I may have arguing here in SB. Why do we have to pollute our own personal enjoyment by needlessly joining in to similar epic dramas? There's more than plenty good stuff to learn from the people listed above to keep us occupied from getting into imitating their less than edifying dramas like little children imitating the bad habits of their elders. We say we want to be thinking divers, well then let's use our thinking caps to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to following the guys above. Be respectful and tolerant of others because, no, they are not certainly dying because they are not using jet fins. Nor is wearing a BP/W the mark of a jerk.

And is this person still a GUE instructor? Does this incident speak to more than the behavior of a single instructor? Does it bear on GUE instructors today?

I guess I'm not seeing the point of the anecdote. Is your claim that other agencies don't have dick instructors?

My original comment was: "As much as I might respect the philosophy behind the teaching, I can't abide any instructor..."

I had hoped that it would be abundantly clear that I do not hold agencies responsible for the behavior of individual instructors. Anyone who has ever read any post by me in forums discussing the pros and cons of various training agencies knows this.

As for the suggestion that I misunderstood the smirk, or that perhaps the instructor had private words with the offending student, unfortunately, his attitude during the second day of diving would indicate otherwise. Suffice it to say, I chose not to do business with him subsequently. That is not to say that I refuse to do business with other DIR instructors or practitioners. I do not subscribe to the one bad apple theory...

OH CRAP! I don't dive with any of the rite gear... does that mean i've been diving wrong this whole time?!??!?

No, it means you've been diving "rong."

:mooner:

Anyway, this thread has opened my eyes some. I thought ALL DIR people were pricks, but seems only a minority of you guys are.... HAHA!

Anyway, I will genuinely look for an oppurtunity to find out if once again, my first impressions were wrong.

Anyway, this thread has opened my eyes some. I thought ALL DIR people were pricks, but seems only a minority of you guys are.... HAHA!

Anyway, I will genuinely look for an oppurtunity to find out if once again, my first impressions were wrong.

you should get out more

I got tired of no color, so I bought a bright red set of double Al80s.

Black is a color ... blacker is cooler ...

(with due apologies to the Rolling Stones) ...

I see a red wing and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the strokes walk by dressed in their neon clothes
I have to turn my head because their snorkel glows

I see a line of fins and they’re all painted black
My drysuit came in blue I have to take it back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a rant from GI3 it just happens ev’ry day

I look inside my mask and see the skirt is black
I see your red tanks and I want them to be black
Maybe then I’ll fade away and not have to face the facts
It’s hard to find your team when they're all wearing black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
My gear is black until they make a darker hue
If I look hard enough with my Halcyon HID
I’ll spot the blue H on my buddy’s BCD

I see a red wing and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the strokes walk by dressed in their neon clothes
I have to turn my head because their snorkel glows

Hmm, hmm, hmm,...
I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Still one of the best scuba parodies, Bob!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom