Open water + advanced in one go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim:

I don't want to "hijack" this thread. Glad we are talking on other places. I would love to have a copy of your AOW outline.

Stephen

Hello

I am a new poster and so new to scuba I haven't had a go yet; I have searched this forum but haven't found an answer to this question, I'm sure it must have been discussed before so apologies in advance!

What is the general opinion on taking the open water and advanced open water in one go (over a week-10 days or so?). Is it acceptable or is it preferable to just do the open water, then dive a a bit at that level before taking it further?

I am planning a backpacking trip around Central America next year. I am going to head to Utila to try out scuba; definitely aim for the Open Water, but possibly the Advanced as well? I am looking at packages where you end up with the Advanced with 13 dives under your belt (over 7 days).....after Utila, I will probably head to Belize and possibly dive there also - the attraction of doing the Advanced in Utila would be the possibility of 'better' diving in Belize. If I got the bug, I might also go to the Corn Islands later in the trip, and maybe around Santa Marta, Columbia as well (I want to head there anyway).

I probably wouldn't book to do the whole beginner-advanced thing; unless there was a significant cost saving over just booking the Open Water and then deciding to continue once there. I don't know yet if I'm going to love it or not! But was just wondering whether it was frowned upon or not.

Hello and Happy New Year!
My opinion is that you should wait to do your Advanced Open Water course when you get home. I feel there are some advantages to this. By concentrating on your Open Water course and then practicing those skills right away in the same area as your training you will strengthen your basic diving skills. When you get home do a couple of local dives within your training with a dive pro or an experienced local diver. If you like it take your Advanced Open Water course locally. This will get you additional training in a completely different environment than the Caribbean thus making you a more rounded diver.
Hope this helps and I hope you have a great time on your journey.

Hello

I am a new poster and so new to scuba I haven't had a go yet; I have searched this forum but haven't found an answer to this question, I'm sure it must have been discussed before so apologies in advance!

What is the general opinion on taking the open water and advanced open water in one go (over a week-10 days or so?). Is it acceptable or is it preferable to just do the open water, then dive a a bit at that level before taking it further?

I am planning a backpacking trip around Central America next year. I am going to head to Utila to try out scuba; definitely aim for the Open Water, but possibly the Advanced as well? I am looking at packages where you end up with the Advanced with 13 dives under your belt (over 7 days).....after Utila, I will probably head to Belize and possibly dive there also - the attraction of doing the Advanced in Utila would be the possibility of 'better' diving in Belize. If I got the bug, I might also go to the Corn Islands later in the trip, and maybe around Santa Marta, Columbia as well (I want to head there anyway).

I probably wouldn't book to do the whole beginner-advanced thing; unless there was a significant cost saving over just booking the Open Water and then deciding to continue once there. I don't know yet if I'm going to love it or not! But was just wondering whether it was frowned upon or not.

I haven't read this long thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. If you're talking about PADI courses, the OW and AOW courses were designed to run concurrently. I'm sure PADI has financial incentives for doing this, specifically increasing the horrible (10%) retention rate of new divers. However, I found that the students that took OW and AOW, combined with a week or two of diving, at the shop in Roatan where I did my DM internship, almost always did much better than the students who simply took OW and then dove. This is because they got much more time with the instructors to start shaping the skills they learn in OW.

I suspect that this thread has a lot of the usual bashing about "advanced" diving after these courses but with little experience. Personally, I think it's more useful to consider the PADI AOW class as more of a basic OW course, part 2. The two courses combined make a much more reasonable certification course, IMO. So if you think of the AOW as just an extension of the certification course, and forget about the unfortunate use of the term 'advanced' it makes more sense.

Get 25-50 dives in before taking the AOW class. :D

Party 2 will tell you that AOW is the second half of what used to be one class, and that you should take it all at once, especially if you are nervous about diving independently (i.e. unsupervised).

That's my feeling and my experience. It worked for me.

There are varied opinions.

Party 1 will tell you to wait, as you'll get more out of the class after you have some independent dives and are somewhat more comfortable in the water.

Party 2 will tell you that AOW is the second half of what used to be one class, and that you should take it all at once, especially if you are nervous about diving independently (i.e. unsupervised).

Party 3 will tell you that the best way to improve your diving is to dive, and that getting real experience and diving with mentors is generally more effective than formal classes with a professional instructor, so to only take AOW when you need it as a means to a specific end (i.e. satisfying a hard pre-requisite, gaining access to certain dive sites on boats which require it, etc.).
I say that I fall under 3. I didn't feel realy at home till I had some dives under my belt . And my buoyancy control. Is still inproving evary dive I do. DON'T DIVE BEYOND YOUR SKILL LEVEL. Injoy. You diving and dive safe

It looks like there isnt one right answer to this questions and on the flipside, there is no wrong answer. I see arguments for all three and really depends on the individual and how well he or she has progressed.
I am in the same situation and have asked myself whether or not to go straight into the AOW. I feel comfortable in the water but I do know that there is alot more to learn and experience. This is why I chose to go into the AOW immediately: I will be able to take more dives at the supervision of my instructor. I think the key is to log more hours under the water.

If your back in the UK now and you havent heard of it, go diving at a place called "Stoney Cove" near lutterworth. its got everything from cold to crap viz to the deep end, (the pit) at 35 mtres, its got 3 wrecks at 22mtres, its got air fills, excellent shop, training pool, excellent emeregency action plan, rescue boat and the most important thing....a pub!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom