Transplate question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superlyte27

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey guys... I've been diving a Transpac for more than a decade, but I'm getting fatter and outgrowing my Transpac and I'm considering going with a Transplate. Any suggestions?

Yes, I know, HALCYON is the best and if you don't buy Halcyon you're doing it wrong blah blah blah.... Save it.

Anyone dive a transplate before? Like it? Love it? Hate it?

I use a generic steel back plate with a harness and wing. The nice part about that is since you are "getting fatter" you can carry 6 lbs less lead.

Yes, I know, HALCYON is the best and if you don't buy Halcyon you're doing it wrong blah blah blah.... Save it.
Sounds like you already know the answer you're looking for, why post?

That was sarcasm...
I'm looking for advice from the non-brainwashed crowd. :)

I dive a transpac, and a funny thing happend over the past 10 years. The waist starap has seemed to have SHRUNK!!!! Not really sure how this happened, but the nice fellows at diverite put a new, longer waist strap on for me for less than $40. If you like your Transpac, just get it resized.

That was sarcasm...
I'm looking for advice from the non-brainwashed crowd. :)
I prefer the Halcyon plates because they're bent so they don't jab into the hips.

Other than that, a backplate is a backplate is a backplate. If you need quick release buckles, the transplate works well. If you could use the Halcyon Cinch, I'd trust it with heavy doubles more than I would the transplate.

Actually, to be honest.. and i'm not sure when this happened but for years my doubles seemed to stay put, never moved. Now they seem to be flopping around here and there no matter how much I play with it. I'm thinking it's my build changing considerably. It's not just my waist that's gotten bigger.

So many people I dive with are happy with a backplate, I figure maybe they know something I don't. I have access to a plastic DR plate and an aluminum one. I can get the Transplate very affordably, but if everyone hates it, i'll go another way. I kinda wanted to transition to a plate, but still have the comfort and familiarity of the old transpac.

Thanks for your input.

I opted for a stainless Transplate with Venture Wing for 2010. No complaints. What had me pleasantly surprised was that Dive Rite is now including two D-rings on each shoulder strap...when I bought my two Transpacs in 2001, I had to custom order the two D-ring configuration...

I have also noticed a shrinking of the Transpacs' waist straps. Obviously faulty material.

Actually, to be honest.. and i'm not sure when this happened but for years my doubles seemed to stay put, never moved. Now they seem to be flopping around here and there no matter how much I play with it. I'm thinking it's my build changing considerably. It's not just my waist that's gotten bigger.

So many people I dive with are happy with a backplate, I figure maybe they know something I don't. I have access to a plastic DR plate and an aluminum one. I can get the Transplate very affordably, but if everyone hates it, i'll go another way. I kinda wanted to transition to a plate, but still have the comfort and familiarity of the old transpac.

Thanks for your input.
I think a lot of people get turned off to backplates because they're too tight. Mine is lose enough that I can slip in and out even in the water, and I've had no issues in small passage, scootering, stages, etc. Here's a good link to base your sizing off of-
DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

Excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom