Looking for a great 1st regulator!! HELP :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obada.jandali

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,:crafty:

i'm a new diver:dork2:, about to get my open water diver certificate after i finish my 3rd and 4th open water dives next weekend, and i am investing in my gear, didn't buy a thing yet so i am doing a little research before i get the money :D!!

so i am still researching regulators, as this is going to be the first equipment to buy!

i'm looking for something great, easy :blinking:to service, moderately :shakehead:priced, i'm going to be diving in coral waters and good weather mostly, Dubai, Musandam, Cyprus, Egypt, Maldives, california, florida, such kind of places, but i don't mind getting something good for cold water too just as a :idk:precaution incase i go to the north or south pole!! :dork2:Phewwww!

i want something that goes all the way to 30, 40, and even 50 meters deep as i intend to continue my diving education, but i will keep it moderate.
something which is is nitrox compatible 32%O--36%O,invironmentally sealed? 1st and 2nd stages? has a piston 1st stage tech rather than a diaphragm.
easy to breath from under high pressure, and no matter how low the level of air in my cylinder gets, comfortable on the mouth, has at least 2 HP ports, and 3 LP ports.

i've been looking around and i got some recommendations, "ScubaPro mk25/S600" "Apeks XTX200" "Oceanic Alpha 8 SP5 Regulator" "Mares Proton 42 Metal Regulator" "Sherwood SR1 Regulator"

with the "Cressi XS Octopus" saying that it's fairly a good oct.

please help out, let me know what you think of these, and if you have any other suggestions!!
thanks in advance everybody!:D

You are going to get answers that pretty much cover the range of regs available. Bottom line is, pretty much any mid ranged reg from any of the major brands will do very nicely. At this point in the game, I would not worry too much about environmentally sealed reg, it's unlikely you will be diving in water cold enough to need one. Piston or diaphragm is a non issue, both designs as solid, proven designs and one design is not really any better than the other. Don't get fooled by the "more expensive is better" hype, they are not. If you intend to travel worldwide with the regs then I would limit my search the Scubapro, Aqualung and Apeks due to them having the largest worldwide dealer support, otherwise most any of the brands will do nicely. The one exception is the Sherwood SR-1. IMO it is way over engineered and is likely to be a problem to get serviced in the future, any of the other Sherwoods are solid regulators.

thanx alot for the tips guys, i was over at a local diving club today, had a few chats with some of the members, and regulars, everyone was praising the Apeks XTX200, he said that it is the best regulator he has ever used, others were saying good things about the Aqualung Legend, though i tend to like the Apeks much more, it just seems to have a better performance, and reviews.

but what do you guys think, Balanced or over balanced 1st stage?
Piston, or Diaphragm 1st stage?

let me know what you think!!:wink:

obada.jandali,

I happen to own a few apeks regs and for your type of diving needs... not wants, I say try out the DST/XTX50/XTX50 combo.

I might just that bit heavier than the FSR 1st stage but it's as good as the FSR if properly calibrated/adjusted and quite a bit cheaper.

The only time you might feel a difference is if you're > 80m

The Apeks FSR/FST/DST/DST 1st stages are all cold water capable and easily serviceable.

The DST has almost every thing the FSR has but with a extra turret (great for side mount) & 1 less HP port.

But if you think you want the best apeks has to offer, I would get the FST/XTX50/XTX50.

The Legend LX is no slouch either and of all the regs I've owned the best breathe I had was with the Legend LX. The 1st stage is built like a tank too. In fact if I didn't own so many Apeks regs already I would be getting all Legends LX in a heart beat.

SangP

Overbalanced is sales hype more than anything. I did the math a while back and the difference (and effect) is minimal, not a bad thing but not worth paying extra for.
Piston vs diaphram is a debate over nothing. Both are proven designs that are dependable and work well. The flow through piston (most Scubapro and Atomic regs) will flow a little more gas wide open but even the least performing first stage these days will flow more gas than any 2 second stage can flow combined so it's a mute point.
99% of the performance of a reg is determined by the second stage, the first stage has little to do with the overall performance of a modern reg, as long as it will flow more gas than 2 second stage can flow and keep the IP (pressure in the hose) at a reasonable valve it makes no difference what the first stage is. Pretty much any modern first stage can fill that reguirement. Make your decision based on the second stage. Find one that suits you, has the controls you like (I do prefer an adjustable second stage) and buy it.....and whatever first stage comes with it....and if there is a choice take the less expensive one.

Looking for a great 1st regulator!!

Do yourself a favor... and buy your SECOND regulator first. And your SECOND computer, and your second BCD, etc, etc...

Much cheaper that way.

Wish someone had told me to do that!

Though actually, my regs (AquaLung Legend LX Extreme) are the only pieces of gear I have NOT replaced from what I originally bought when first certified... which only proves the point.

Everything else (SeaQuest BCD, AirSource, Tri-Ex fins, Cobra computer, TUSA mask, Deep Sea knife, etc, etc) has long since been replaced with the gear I should have bought in the first place.

but what do you guys think, Balanced or over balanced 1st stage?
Piston, or Diaphragm 1st stage?

let me know what you think!!:wink:

I only go for the over-over balanced. :shakehead:

Lots of hype out there, "over balanced" is a beauty. Gee, we're just not selling enough of our "balanced" regulators, lets call them "over balanced".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom