Key Largo area info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doohboy24

Reaction score
hello guys, virginia diver here. i have a week of diving planned starting july 26th. my wife and other divers are starting to freak out about the BP oil disater. do we have anything to worry about yet?? we are booked to go out with a few different dive shops there. thanks for the replies in advance.

Hi Chuck, I just spoke to the people at Slient World in key Largo and they say they are seeing no signs from the oil spill. I live in Fort Lauderdale and we are having great dive conditions here. I don't think you have any worries for your trip. I am planning on heading down to the keys in about three weeks and expect to have good dive conditions as always.

The only oil you are going to encounter at the present time in the Florida Keys is from
(to quote JB) "All those tourists covered in oil", and drunk guys in the marinas pouring Yamalube into their boat's fuel tanks.

At the present time...there is no BP oil in the Keys, or Tampa, or most of Florida.
It is a Panhandle thing at the moment.

Chug
"I'm off to see the lizards"

Hey Chuck, thanks for visiting the Scubaboard forum for South Florida Divers dive club!!!

Might I suggest that you will get way more replies if you post your query in the regular Conch forum. In fact, I'll ask a mod to move it for you. When you are in the area, come to one of our meetings, visitors are ALWAYS welcome!

Enjoy your trip!

EDIT: thanks to the mod who moved this to the Conch forum. :)

Last edited:
not worried about it, I am signed up to do dives in Key Largo week after next. From what I hear conditions are terrific. I believe there is an eddie in the gulf of mexico right now preventing the oil from entering the gulfstream...so at least for the moment it looks good!

Conditions have been beyond glorious and we've seen no effects from the oil whatsoever. Come down and enjoy yourself!

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. We cant wait to get down there first time out in real open water. It will definetly be a life expeerience.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. We cant wait to get down there first time out in real open water. It will definetly be a life expeerience.

Oooh-if this will be the first time, you are in for a treat in Key Largo!!! I'm a bit jealous. While I'm certainly not the most experienced diver, I'll never forget the first time I got to dive the Keys.

The mini-lobster season is on July 28th and the 29th in FL.
As far as I know, the only dive shop in the Key Largo area that do mini-lobster is Garden Cove .
Give it a try, if anything, just to say you did it. You might get 6 lobsters out of the dives :). I signed up with 4 other divers on both days.
I know lots of people is going to jump in and tell you to stay away from the mini-lobster madness, but do research and decide for yourself. PM me if you want to find out more.
Enjoy your week in KL.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom