Lauderdale by the Sea shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I would LOVE to do that but I'd have to take about 3 hours vacation, and I just can't right now. Hopefully they will schedule a Friday or Sunday night dive in the near future.

What depth did you have on the second reef?

I'm just asking because sometimes people consider the rubble reef the first reef. The first reef line is about two pier lengths off shore, 10-25 ft depth, the second reef line is about 30-40 ft depth. The third reef line is an ambitious shore dive, a little over a mile, with a good chance of being run over by a boat.

Thanks
some people told us that the rubble reef was first reef and many of the dive shop sites state that. How much further is the second reef. We have done rubble reef, cheese then across the barren stretch 50 fin kicks or 25 cycles across to the next area. We swam all the the edge of that. We have gone as far north as the pier and about a block past hibiscus south.
My max depth thus far was 22 feet. I am glad there is something else out there. Shall explore next time. How much farther out to what you call second reef is it do you think?
As far as the third, I'm not into being hit by a boat. Speaking of boat did anybody see the butthead jetskier out there last weekend. I think he thought the flags were and obstacle course to see how fast he could go between them?

Thanks again for the info

Traditionally, the first reef is the 30 foot reef (the long swim). The second reef the 60 foot reef (boat or kayak) and the third reef the 90 foot reef.

Scientists and divers bicker back and forth, but that's what I've understood in 30 years of diving this area.

Pretty much what Debby says. LBTS is lucky to have those other two mini reefs closer to shore.

Last edited:
Those are often called the "inshore reefs" by beach divers. Those close-in patches are the reason why LBTS is so popular. They are accessible to divers who don't want to, or can't, swim to the "first reef".

We swam last night for about 40 minutes off the beach parking lot north of the Yankee Clipper. It was a FANTASTIC dive but not everyone can swim on the surface for 40 minutes with full gear.

Who is Debbie? LOL

Suzette, I am out of the water till the last week of month due to business but will give you heads up next time. I may squeeze one night stay in. Planning on doing keys end of month for 5-7 days. Was thinking about Key Largo, Loie Key or Key west. Any good suggestions?

In the interest of full disclosure, I work for Rainbow Reef Dive Center, so of course I think you should dive here- especially if it's on a day when I can dive :) I do hear great things about Looe Key but am not familiar with shops there. We use Southpoint for Key West dives but I haven't used them myself. Islamorada has some incredible diving and Captain Gary at Conch Republic is a great outfit, and I like Key Divers as well.

Richard has been out most mornings for the last two weeks on the "rubble field" off Datura's beach entrance. He's been photographing the usual suspects, plus this week he snapped a southern stingray at the field near the end of Anglin Pier. Today he finally got a picture of the smaller manta ray that has been in that area, and Sunday the larger one buzzed him before his flash could recycle.
No Internet access at Beach Apt. Hotel this year, no phones in the rooms, and the mosquitos are bad at the Eastward Inn pool, plus there is no electric access once the battery on the laptop goes out.
Richard is gearing up for an afternoon dive as I speak -- 4 pm Monday. Look for the guy with the beanie, 3-mil full suit, yellow and black fins, and the camera!
Trish
Oh, and the other day a SBer gave us some types on a snorkling / shore dive when the water was green and swift. We had a hard time hearing, but we appreciated the help. Thanks!

Finally back from the 3 week of nothing but work. what's the viz and conditions been like, thinking about heading down Friday midday for weekend. Looking at LBTS, Dania or Deerfield. Only have 3 days this time.

BTW, how was mini lobster season? Everyone bag their limit?

Friday is a long ways off so who knows? NOAA is saying
Friday... East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas beyond the reef 2 to 4 feet...Except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 1 to 2 feet. Nearshore waters a light to moderate chop. Isolated showers and thunderstorms.
but...it's four days away and could change.

We had PERFECT conditions at LBTS yesterday. Swimming pool clear, flat calm, very little current, very warm. HOPING for perfect conditions Friday as well! I'm hoping to kayak dive Friday morning.

Hi all,
A friend and I are coming over to the East Coast and would like to do some shore diving. We've only been boat diving to date, and would love to dive the Ero Jacks. We'll be over Monday 23rd of August. Anybody looking to dive the Jacks on late Monday morning? We'd also like to do Tuesday the 24th in the morning if possible.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom