Ssi vs padi certification

What's more important in an open water course? The Agency, or the Instructor?

• Agency

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Instructor

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Anyone know how widespread SSI certification is in Egypt?
There are 55 SSI training facilities in Egypt, so the folks who "hadn't heard of it" obviously weren't listening :)
EyeDoc Jim:
I ran into a similar problem a couple of years age in Thailand. I had an OW certification from SDI and the shop didn't recognize it.
SDI ain't SSI; there are 46 SSI training facilities in Thailand. It (SSI) is well known there. (In fairness to SDI, their presence is growing there, they're up to 11 facilities offering TDI and/or SDI courses in Thailand)
Rick

...the RSTC affiliated organizations (SDI PADI SSI NAUI etc)...
A very minor point: NAUI is not RSTC affiliated, although they were at one time.
Not really germane to the discussion, though.

I was open water certified with SDI. I appreciated their curriculum's thoroughness on several topics, but when all was said and done... and I started reading and researching... I started wishing that I had chosen PADI or NAUI for my OW cert.

My main complaint was that SDI teaches nothing about dive tables. They have a computer-only approach. That didn't sit well with me, and I ended up learning how to use dive tables and plan dives manually via lots of research and asking some questions. Maybe it's just me but I like having a manual backup to electronics.

Aside from that one thing, I feel my SDI training was exactly on par with that of other divers at my same experience level. All the agencies seem to recognize each other (at least in my neck of the woods). I WILL be doing Nitrox and eventually AOW with PADI, but it's not necessarily because I've had any probs with anyone recognizing my certification.

I got my OW about a year ago. I looked at all the LDS in the area and decided on a SSI class. I have no regrets about it, and like the shop very well. However having recently found another shop that I like even better (friendlier, and dont have their hand out everytime I walk in the shop), I will likely be continuing my broader education with SSI. I still may take the smaller classes like nitrox and such with the SSI shop just because they are closer. All and all, they seem to be almost exactly the same.

I teach both PADI and SSI. The open water program is according to the "Standards" All most EXACTLY the same. It all comes down to the instructor. We will spend however long it takes to train a diver to be safe and comfortable for however long it takes, at no additional cost. PADI or SSI, that is just the way we do it.
I have quibbles with both organizations training material, but they are very minor and I can address them in class....I am becoming more SSI oriented, as I feel they are more customer oriented. SSI ALLOWS and ENCOURAGES me to add to the base curriculum, PADI discourages this practice, I believe as it opens me, and them up to additional liability. SSI has a program that the text book is available on line after student is certified. PADI requires you to purchase a text book. I REALLY like the idea that my students can access the training material any time to brush up and refresh their knowledge.ALSO, importantly for me....SSI allows me to not license somebody who I feel is genuinely NOT safe and NEVER will be safe, with PADI..if they can meet the performance requirements, I MUST license them. There have been a few, that I wish I could have with held certification.
SSI is currently redoing their basic professional level qualifications to address the fact that they did not have the equivalent of PADI dive master. This is a real positive also.
It ALL comes down to the instructor especially for open water.

I was open water certified with SDI. I appreciated their curriculum's thoroughness on several topics, but when all was said and done... and I started reading and researching... I started wishing that I had chosen PADI or NAUI for my OW cert.

My main complaint was that SDI teaches nothing about dive tables. They have a computer-only approach. That didn't sit well with me, and I ended up learning how to use dive tables and plan dives manually via lots of research and asking some questions. Maybe it's just me but I like having a manual backup to electronics.

Aside from that one thing, I feel my SDI training was exactly on par with that of other divers at my same experience level. All the agencies seem to recognize each other (at least in my neck of the woods). I WILL be doing Nitrox and eventually AOW with PADI, but it's not necessarily because I've had any probs with anyone recognizing my certification.

That's interesting, as tables are in your manual. I teach dive tables completely, along with computer use. I teach the tables during nitrogen loading and then in dive planning. I connect to computer function. And TDI is who you would look to for nitrox, not SDI.
At the end of the day, it is the instructor who decides how well they teach you and what they teach (whether to just meet bare standard, or to properly prepare you as a diver). Really talk to and question any future instructors before you sign in.

A couple of unrelated items that may interest the OP or others.

I have been told by an instructor that tables are now optional in both SSI and PADI since computers now are so common.

After completing OW, SSI has a minimum number of dives before advancing to AOW. I understand PADI does not. Whether this is a feature or a bug depends on your viewpoint. For me, I saw it as a good thing.

I cannot tell you all how grateful I am that this discussion has focused on the merits of entry-level training and has not morphed into the bashing of various agencies and their training standards, as is so often the case in this forum.

Since it is semi-relevant to the original inquiry, I'm once again posting a link to the "Ask An Expert" feature in this month's Scuba Diving Magazine, which offers opposing views on the the adequacy of training standards. The debate is between Bob Brayman, owner of the International Career Institute at Hall's (providing NAUI and SSI Instructor training), and a thirty-year industry professional and PADI Instructor-Trainer, who just happens to be me:
Are Dive Training Requirements Adequate? | Scuba Diving Magazine

The dive shop I was trained for OW was PADI, and they have just now switched to SSI for reasons other than training which I won't get into.

Bottom line, it's the same instructors, assistant instructors and divemasters, just a different organization. The training will be just as good with SSI as it was with PADI not because of the training materials, but rather because the PEOPLE doing the training are good.

That's really where the rubber hits the road... how good are the instructors?

I'm PADI certified, but hold the SSI Nitrox certification.

On a recent trip to Dahab, a couple of the Egyption staff at the dive centre hadn't heard of it and needed to get it checked out. It was checked and approved without delay but it did raise the question in my mind.

Anyone know how widespread SSI certification is in Egypt?

Yes they do. I live in the Middle East and in Sharm El Sheikh a lot. They do know SSI in this area of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom