tiomen raining lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom_kkh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Am going diving at Tiomen on the second week of August.

Anyone came back lately?

It has been raining almost everyday in Singapore, hows the weather in Tiomen now?

This is the tropics. It could rain any day and predicting weather a month in advance is like a coin toss. FWIW, I just came back from Tioman yesterday and the weekend was overcast with occasional showers.

FWIW, I just came back from Tioman yesterday and the weekend was overcast with occasional showers.

What were the water temperatures like and how bad was the coral bleaching?

The coldest temps recorded on dives ranged from 28.0C to 28.4C which is still a bit warm by 0.5C - 1.0C. The bleaching was pretty bad but the fishes were still looking happy. The clown fish, hosever, looked confused in white anemones.

leaving this Friday!

hopefully the sun will shine for me, been 8 months since my last dive, so excited.

hopefully the sun will shine for me, been 8 months since my last dive, so excited.

Well if you do get good weather and are able to get out to some of the out-lying sites (Chebeh, Seafan, Tiger Reef, Labas, etc.), I would appreciate some details on how they're standing up under the heat.

Well if you do get good weather and are able to get out to some of the out-lying sites (Chebeh, Seafan, Tiger Reef, Labas, etc.), I would appreciate some details on how they're standing up under the heat.

the bleaching corals are real bad compared to last year when i visited.

It is really sad and unbelievable to see so many white corals.

I cant imagine what will happen if i visit again next year.

on a lighter note, the trip was very fruitful, saw black tip shark, 2 m long barracuda ambushing its prey, blus spotted ray, turtles,etc.

Did some great dive through and the day coundnt ended any better with dolphin checking us out.

Yes! dolphins, swimming with us while we head back to the jetty. 3 even came so close, just beside our boat.

How cool is that!

the bleaching corals are real bad compared to last year when i visited...
on a lighter note, the trip was very fruitful, saw black tip shark, 2 m long barracuda ambushing its prey, blus spotted ray, turtles,etc.
Yes! dolphins, swimming with us while we head back to the jetty. 3 even came so close, just beside our boat.

Thanks for the report, and glad you enjoyed the creatures. There is a local guy on the island who I've dived with a few times who doesn't eat fish; says it's so they won't be tempted to eat him :).
Also got an email this morning from a friend on the island and she said the water temp has dropped a little in the last week. Maybe if some storms stir up the sea a bit more (think there's one forming in the Philippines now), the moderation will continue and the recovery will be rapid.

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in this area November-December time?
Thanks
Adam

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in this area November-December time?
Thanks
Adam

Well, it depends :-^). I have been there in November's when weather conditions and visibility were great. And I have seen November's when everything was churning. The further into December you get, statistically, the odds for getting calm conditions probably go down. I would suggest, especially since you seem to be close by, that you track conditions on a weekly basis as your travel window approaches. Then be prepared to go on short notice when you see that the calm period, which happens during the transition from summer to monsoon seasons, is happening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom