Lauderdale by the Sea shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been interested in trying some shore diving in Ft L- I work at a shop in Key Largo so I get out a lot here, but I've never done any shore diving at all and just want to give it a shot, see what there is to see. I've been to LBTS but just walking around and getting lunch- it was before I became a diver.

Some Monday or Tuesday (I'm off both days all day) I would really love meeting a few SBers there that can show me the finer points of shore diving. I'm a PADI AOW with about 100 dives if that matters to anyone and I'm a good buddy. I've only been diving here in Key Largo and only from boats, which is why I thought it would be fun to expand my horizons a bit and try something different.

Anyone interested in a little mini SB meetup at LBTS to show a shore diving newbie around a bit?
:kiss2:

If nobody from here is available, check with Gold Coast Scuba Shop and see if they know who's going out. Their fans dive almost every day; they have a meetup group. It does cost to become a member but the first week is free.

If you're ever free on a Friday, that's my day off for beach diving, let me know.

We saw you with the yaks, didn't realize that was you all. We decided to just skip it Monday. It looked ominous.
About the rude diver...I came to the conclusion after talking to the couple (not group) 3 other time that there was no excuse. Heck I haul my 40+ (age) butt and my wife does up the beach and walk over to Santa Barbara. The ledge about kills the wife hauling out but we still smile and put on a happy face.
I just figured that maybe someone would see this and realize that they are not any more special than you and I:D

I will also second Debby about Gold Coast Divers. they are my choice for the area. Wife did a good write up on her blog about them. Steve and Brian very friendly guys. Gold Coast Scuba | Danielle's Dives Blog

All in all it was very nice with a great variety of friendly fish.

also not to sound comepletly idiotic..not me
Isn't is a pain in the ass to yak dive. I can't imagine hauling myself up after with the gear or do you gear up in the water?

Suzette, I am out of the water till the last week of month due to business but will give you heads up next time. I may squeeze one night stay in. Planning on doing keys end of month for 5-7 days. Was thinking about Key Largo, Loie Key or Key west. Any good suggestions?

Isn't is a pain in the ass to yak dive. I can't imagine hauling myself up after with the gear or do you gear up in the water?
I am always surprised to read or hear this question. Of course we gear up in the water, that just seems so obvious that I can't think of a viable alternative. And, of course we leave the gear in the water when we get back on the yak. It's as easy to get back in the boat as it is to get out of a pool that has no ladder...big kick, push down with your arms, and you're in. Pull the gear in and lash it down. I have a 6' line that I use to tether the gear to the boat while it's in the water and not attached to my body.

Yup, kayak diving is a lot of work, but there's a huge payoff to it. It just takes longer because you can go out so much further and, because you don't have to use air for the swim out or back, you get really long bottom times. You can explore like crazy and not worry about a long walk back to the car. And if you find something really cool and heavy you can put it in the boat and paddle it back. (Ever swim an anchor back to shore? UGH!) Also it's nice to have that 13' long banana with a flag hovering over me rather than just a little flag.

I didn't realize you were diving near us yesterday! You saw the three of us enter across from the 1200 Building just north of Sunrise Boulevard? One yellow, one green, one orange yak? That was us. We had a blast and even laughed a lot at the horrific squall we ascended into.

And, glad to get a better definition of the rude "group". Just one couple? Heh, ignore them.

Nice write-up on Gold Coast Scuba. I like them a whole lot.

Isn't is a pain to yak dive. I can't imagine hauling myself up after with the gear or do you gear up in the water?

You assemble everything you can while still on shore.
You lash/bungee/bolt/snap/attach all your gear and every other thing you have with you onto the yak.
You paddle out.
You toss the Tank with BC attached over the side...TIED OFF!
Dive.
Surface.
Take it off.
TIE IT OFF!
Pull it back into the yak (not so bad with an aluminum 90, a little effort with a steel 130, I haven't had the guts to try it with my steel 149......YET), and paddle in.
On the just "Right" day, I have been out to the 70' reef here.
It is just so sweet paddling out with your friends and talking.
It is even sweeter stroking in instead of swimming.
You cannot do that all of the time though.
Sometimes the yaks are not worth the effort, due to wind, waves, or a lack of time.
A good old beach dive is the way to go.

Chug
Cobra Fish and Dive
12'-6" long
36" beam
600 pounds of lift

I lost my weight belt. It was an old belt, but now it has to be replaced. Also it had 3- 2lb pouches. Drat..

My losses happened at the car in the torrential downpour. There was an absolute river along the gutter and now I've lost half a tiedown used for gear in the yak and a tiedown loop for my stern line when it's on the car.

Still, my two buddies who posted above me must have had a great day regardless because we laughed and laughed and enjoyed a nice lunch with adult beverages afterward!

That dive is certainly one for the memory book! I'm sure with time and a few beers, it will become an epic storm with high waves and lots of lightning! Oh, and dolphins, manatees and whalesharks too! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom