Newbie Gear Question regarding masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The purge is a nice convenience. I like to compare it to power steering in a car

I disagree. Mask clearing (without a purge) is a basic skill that every diver should be comfortable with and competent in

Like so many here have stated, buy a mask that fits and is comfortable. Don't shop by price, and think the most expensive mask will necessarily be better.

The one that fits! For me the Riffe Mantis 5 are very comfortable!

In the end it really comes down to your personal preference. If you find a mask that you like the looks of, chances are pretty good if that particular one doesn't fit the way you like, another manufacturer has one very similar to it that will.

Ya gotta love a retailer that provides plenty of information and doesn't do so just to try selling you something at the end of the post. Well done!

I disagree. Mask clearing (without a purge) is a basic skill that every diver should be comfortable with and competent in

If someone has a mask with a purge in it why do they need to be so competent? Perhaps they even carry a back up mask in their left cargo pocket that also has a purge valve. :crafty: Personally, I've never used such a mask so I have no idea how easy they are. Mask clearing is too easy to bother buying such a mask.

Mask clearing is too easy to bother buying such a mask.

So we agree. It's still a skill that should be learnt and not avoided by getting a mask with a purge

I never said we shouldn't know how to clear a mask with or without a purge. I simply stated that the purge is a nice convenience. Regardless of whether your mask has one or not every student should be receiving this training in their entry level class, so it's kind moot point.

Ok, I get it... Fit is important... but nobody has stated what the fit should be. I tried a number of masks in the shop, putting them to my face and comfort was the key. I was told the mask should seal without me needing to suck in. Good enough? Not really as I discovered.

During my O/W training I found it took me at least three attempts to get all the water out of my mask when doing the full mask clear. It wasn't until the open water dives that while performing the clearing the instructor motioned for me to move the mask lower on my face. I did so, tried the clear and performed it in one try. She later explained to me that the mask didn't fit right - my nostrils were right up against the silicone of the nose piece, preventing sufficient airflow from my nose to clear the mask.

From a comfort perspective, this wasn't an issue. I didn't even notice. From a functional perspective, it made all the difference.

Ok, I get it... Fit is important... but nobody has stated what the fit should be. I tried a number of masks in the shop, putting them to my face and comfort was the key. I was told the mask should seal without me needing to suck in. Good enough? Not really as I discovered.

Please see the link included in my post #7

I'm going to say that you should probably just try on a mask and buy one at the local dive shop unless it is a replacement mask of the same brand and model as the one you just lost. You might save 25 bucks at leisurepro, scuba.com or scubatoys, but you may waste time packing up and returning masks that don't fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom