Bonaire Burglar Stopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACCEPTANCE: don't worry, crime is everywhere so just deal with it and try to have a nice vacation.

Sorry, that does not do it for me. I'd rather go to a place that respects me and my property. Thanks anyway.
It certainly does, or you would have taken care of this in your own neighborhood
Charlotte crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Until you address this with your government and have a solution in place, your ability for any credibility to discuss crime in an area you have never been to, or where you have been yet NEVER experienced any crime at all in is subject to question of motivation.

You have already attempted to bring MY credibility into question on this thread, yet I am actually here on Bonaire with a large group of people at this moment and you are not. I am not in crime ridden Charlotte, NC. We are diving here in Bonaire and having a wonderful time

I had thought the mods had finally decided to ban you from the ABC area, but I see that it is not to be

Got a source, cite, or case name?

I'd have to look it up ... it was well publicized at the time it happened, and it occurred in the city I work in (Tacoma).

I'll look thru some old Tribune issues when I get a chance and see if I can find it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ACCEPTANCE: don't worry, crime is everywhere so just deal with it and try to have a nice vacation.
But I haven't had to deal with crime in Bonaire. I HAVE had to deal with it at home.

By that logic, I'm better off in Bonaire.

Sorry, that does not do it for me. I'd rather go to a place that respects me and my property. Thanks anyway.
... and where would that place be? What crime-free place can you go for vacation?

... besides, last time I was in Bonaire it was pretty crowded. If PF talks a few folks out of going ... it's all good ... if PF happens to be one of those he talks out of going, it's still all good ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That was a bad, dangerous position to be put n. Certainly not while on vacation and trying to relax. That is DEFINITELY a vacation chill ender.:shakehead:

I understand your feelings of not wanting to return.That's a wise decison. Maybe if they finally do something about the crime there we'll all feel different?

Very glad you were not injured.

Original poster here...It's been years since this happened, but it's still significant for me and my wife. I don't like what I did, the gut reaction of running into my room where there was an intruder. I wish I never did that. In reflection, it's not my style to do that sort of thing. Middle school and Bonaire, that's when I recall exchanging punches. I like to think of myself as a problem solver, never a fighter.
While I love the diving, I will not be returning.

But I haven't had to deal with crime in Bonaire. I HAVE had to deal with it at home.

By that logic, I'm better off in Bonaire.

You might be. Maybe if you spend as much time on Bonaire as you have in Tacoma you might feel differently?

... and where would that place be? What crime-free place can you go for vacation?

Saba, Grand Turk comes quickly to mind.

... besides, last time I was in Bonaire it was pretty crowded. If PF talks a few folks out of going ... it's all good ... if PF happens to be one of those he talks out of going, it's still all good ... :D... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, that doesn't sound friendly? You want a return to the bad old days?:confused:

There is a common connection between the Bonaire cheerleaders, with the exception of NWGD, they all have a vested interest in Bonaire, own property there, take groups there, live there, etc. yes, some try to hide that fact so as to appear impartial but if you really parse their posts, you get the picture. Wether you go there is a personal matter of how you feel about safety, what risk you will accept, and your personal tolerance level. I just want people to have the facts so they can make up there own minds and not be unsafely persuaded by the Bonaire cheerleaders that keep telling you, come on down, it's real safe.

I'd have to look it up ... it was well publicized at the time it happened, and it occurred in the city I work in (Tacoma).

I'll look thru some old Tribune issues when I get a chance and see if I can find it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, generally there is more than meets the eye to such things. If the man who had his car stolen was chasing the thief in an another auto there are circumstances that may lead to what you described

You might be. Maybe if you spend as much time on Bonaire as you have in Tacoma you might feel differently?
I can pretty much guarantee you there is less crime, and less severe types of crime, in Bonaire than there is in Tacoma ... and if there were any way I could spend as much time there as I do in Tacoma, rest assured I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Saba, Grand Turk comes quickly to mind.

Hmmm ... from the Saba Tourism website ... http://saba-guide.info/travel.basics/crime/

Although Saba is said by many to be largely crime free, it is always wise to take common sense precautions when you are traveling abroad. Travelers should always have their credit cards, cash, and other important documents such as passports in secure and concealed locations. Always lock hotel doors, and take advantage of hotel safes. Travelers should be cautious of removing credit cards and cash in public, and should also avoid flaunting expensive items such as jewelry or electronic equipment. Finally, avoid traveling in remote and unlit areas in the evening.

... sounds like precautions are still needed, just as they are anywhere else.

Bob, that doesn't sound friendly? You want a return to the bad old days?:confused:

Friendly has nothing to do with it ... if you don't want to go to Bonaire, then don't go ... it makes you feel better to go somewhere else, and means fewer people for me to compete with in Bonaire for dive op resources ... which is a win-win from where I'm sitting. Who knows ... if you manage to talk enough people out of going there, it might even mean reduced prices for those of us who choose to go anyway. It's all good.

I don't agree with you about the severity of the crime in Bonaire, or its potential impact on me. We don't agree on a lot of things ... viva le difference ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pursuit is pursuit, in a car or on foot. What car would they be chasing them in but another, since thiers was stolen.:wink:

How can the pursuer can be charged? The fleeing crook is at fault. They are the cause of action.

Thanks, generally there is more than meets the eye to such things. If the man who had his car stolen was chasing the thief in an another auto there are circumstances that may lead to what you described

Bob, let me know if there is any way I can facilatate your move to Bonaire? In the meantime, be safe in Tocoma. When you are ready to make that big move, I'm sure one of the Bonaire cheerleaders will rent you a nice condo for a reasonable price :)

peace out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom