Bonaire Burglar Stopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as there is a staunch cadre of Bonaire cheerleaders that will skew all sorts of figures to make the crime there seem inciderntal, or more like home, imagine?, and regal you with fanciful stories of how THIER group of 50, 45, 26, 70, left out all kinds of valuables and not a thing was touched :) [ you can ascribe whatever degree of cerdibilty to those self serving stories as your imagination will allow] nothing will EVER change on Bonaire.
Mark this as nothing based in fact vs. fact as it is happening on Bonaire

I can't believe a 2 year old thread about bonaire crime is being discussed and "you know who" is the main culprit once again. Here's an interesting site I came across Charlotte crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

It looks to me like "Mr. Bonairebasher" should look a little closer to home when it comes to crime and tell us what's being done in his own hometown.

First of all, I guess we need to understand the definition of a crime in Bonaire and the US or many other countries for that matter is different. In Bonaire, it is not a crime to break into a car/hotel and it is not a crime to take things that are not yours. Reason it is not a crime in Bonaire (even though there may be laws on the books) is because it is not prosecuted or enforced. In the US, those people would be prosecuted, locked up, and there would be a penalty for such actions. In other parts of the world, you would get a much worse penalty than in the US.

Hate to break it to you but such is not the case. Not too long ago there was a well-documented story in the city I work for about a man who was prosecuted for chasing after someone who had stolen his car ... the 16-year old kid who stole it crashed and died ... the outraged owner of the vehicle, who was chasing him in his other car, was prosecuted AND CONVICTED of manslaughter. The DA said he should've let the kid go and called the police. Problem is that was the FIFTH TIME his car had been stolen, and the Chief of Police had already made a public statement that the police department didn't have the resources to go after car thieves (they're too busy writing traffic tickets).

More recently, my neighbor's home was broken into a couple months back and a bunch of expensive items were stolen. When he called the police, they wouldn't even come out to his house ... they referred him to a website and told him to file a report of what was missing. He hasn't heard from the police since.

So no ... neither car thieves nor home burglars are taken very seriously in the USA ... police resources anymore are prioritized toward activities that result in fines, which means they're mostly going after honest citizens who make mistakes ... not criminals.

I HAVE had my car broken into at a dive site, but it wasn't in Bonaire (which I've visited four times) ... it was a site that's 2.5 miles from my home right here in the USA. The local police know there's a perrenial problem with car prowlers here ... it wouldn't surprise me to find out they even know who the prowlers are ... but they don't feel it merits their attention.

So I find all this noise about crime in Bonaire to be a bit disingenuous ... this type of crime exists anywhere there's poverty and/or bored teen-agers ... whether it's where you live or where you vacation. Anyone who thinks picking a different vacation site will protect them from the possibility of being victimized by someone who wants to steal their things is kidding themselves ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob..You are absolutely correct. However just as correct is the fact that you will NEVER convince PF that his views about Bonaire are so twisted and slanted that they are off the board. I suspect "in person" PF might be a nice guy, but on SB I do try & ignore him.

Just share ideas ... nobody has to be "right".

Diversity is what makes the world interesting ...

... besides, last time I was in Bonaire it was pretty crowded. If PF talks a few folks out of going ... it's all good ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ACCEPTANCE: don't worry, crime is everywhere so just deal with it and try to have a nice vacation.

Sorry, that does not do it for me. I'd rather go to a place that respects me and my property. Thanks anyway.

Hate to break it to you but such is not the case. Not too long ago there was a well-documented story in the city I work for about a man who was prosecuted for chasing after someone who had stolen his car ... the 16-year old kid who stole it crashed and died ... the outraged owner of the vehicle, who was chasing him in his other car, was prosecuted AND CONVICTED of manslaughter. The DA said he should've let the kid go and called the police. Problem is that was the FIFTH TIME his car had been stolen, and the Chief of Police had already made a public statement that the police department didn't have the resources to go after car thieves (they're too busy writing traffic tickets).

*SNIP*

Got a source, cite, or case name?

Original poster here...It's been years since this happened, but it's still significant for me and my wife. I don't like what I did, the gut reaction of running into my room where there was an intruder. I wish I never did that. In reflection, it's not my style to do that sort of thing. Middle school and Bonaire, that's when I recall exchanging punches. I like to think of myself as a problem solver, never a fighter.
While I love the diving, I will not be returning.

I think it's possible that Bonaire is not that differenet from other islands, or other places in general, it's just that with so much shore diving and unattended vehicles the opportunity presents itself for more crime to occur. I am here in Bonaire right now on my first trip. We feel very safe. We usually did not bother with the deadbolt on the front door when we left. We came back a number of times and I realized I had never closed the safe. Of course we are staying in a nice condo in a quiet residential area. We left flip flops and shirts in the truck as we shore dived and they were there when we returned. Though we did talk to someone at a dive site who said their car had theft from it earlier in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom