Bonaire Burglar Stopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Vancouver Island they have incorporated Park Ambassadors at major parking lots due to the high incident of Break Ins . Yes , they smash windows and take things here .

They take donations to help cover expense but it is paid for by the Parks .
I was talking to one of the ambassadors and they know who is responsible for 99% of the crime. Due to politics it is a tricky situation to correct , however when the parking lot is patrolled the culprits turn around as quick as they came in .

Stinipa should have a similar project . You may not be able to stop them but you can control the situation .

Before the day of Internet the masses had no way of communicating their rip offs and frustrations. Now it is easy for the masses to discuss and actually get an idea of what the scope of the problem is .

Bonaire still is in the dark ages of "ignore the problem , the tourists will still come" .

By doing nothing they (the tourist industry) will start to see a decline in business . There are a lot of things that could of been done over the past few years but is remains status quo .

I love Bonaire and thought I had found my dive destination for the next twenty years . Although I have suffered nothing in the way of crime I am having reservations about returning to Bonaire any time soon . Partly due to contracting Dengue on my past visit but mainly the apathy of police and government to protect tourists belongings and safety on island .
I give the police and government zero points for doing anything more than they had to over the past 4 years that I have been following Bonaire .

Yes I will return , probably not alone again . But I am going to explore some new destinations before going back to Bonaire . The powers to be need a wake up call .

Been here for 5 days... We've left items in the truck every single dive (so far 20 dives). We've left things out on the tables in the condo (this laptop, Gilders, chargers, batteries, books, small folding money, parts to scuba equipment... etc)

AT THIS TIME, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM OUR GROUP OF 26 DIVERS AND WE ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME!

Been here for 5 days... We've left items in the truck every single dive (so far 20 dives). We've left things out on the tables in the condo (this laptop, Gilders, chargers, batteries, books, small folding money, parts to scuba equipment... etc)

AT THIS TIME, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM OUR GROUP OF 26 DIVERS AND WE ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME!

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I can imagine one of those Bonaire Burglars reading this on a stolen laptop right now and feeling like he's slacking on the job:D

Murder is not a new problem on Bonaire, it seems.

January 11, 1988 SUSPECT ARRESTED...

This seems off topic and designed to be inflammatory.

Murder is not a new problem anywhere. It is likely as old a problem as the human race itself.

But how about a little context? Even if I start at 1988 (something that massively skews the rates in your favor), there have been two murders in 22 years. If we used the 2006 population for Bonaire (all I had handy) of 14,000, the math is Average Murder Rate = (2/(22*14,000)/100,000).

Or 0.65 per 100,000. Now, how about we compare that with some other countries. Honduras is 100 times that rate. Costa Rica and Belize are 10 times that rate. The USA is 8 times that rate. In the USA, only North Dakota (in some years) has had a rate of under 1.

This seems off topic and designed to be inflammatory.

Murder is not a new problem anywhere. It is likely as old a problem as the human race itself.

But how about a little context? Even if I start at 1988 (something that massively skews the rates in your favor), there have been two murders in 22 years. If we used the 2006 population for Bonaire (all I had handy) of 14,000, the math is Average Murder Rate = (2/(22*14,000)/100,000).

Or 0.65 per 100,000. Now, how about we compare that with some other countries. Honduras is 100 times that rate. Costa Rica and Belize are 10 times that rate. The USA is 8 times that rate. In the USA, only North Dakota (in some years) has had a rate of under 1.
Careful, facts tend to muddy PiFi's system, which usually results in having them ignored when it doesn't gel with his message

As long as there is a staunch cadre of Bonaire cheerleaders that will skew all sorts of figures to make the crime there seem inciderntal, or more like home, imagine?, and regal you with fanciful stories of how THIER group of 50, 45, 26, 70, left out all kinds of valuables and not a thing was touched :) [ you can ascribe whatever degree of cerdibilty to those self serving stories as your imagination will allow] nothing will EVER change on Bonaire.

The not so funny part is there is a degree of truth to your joke. I'm sure a few of the Bonaire crooks are reading this board on their stolen laptops and assuring each other that everything is the same and thier business will go on uninterrupted. Some others on the board, on the other hand, might not find that so funny.:depressed:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I can imagine one of those Bonaire Burglars reading this on a stolen laptop right now and feeling like he's slacking on the job:D

Well, I don't know. I'm in a tropical location right now, enjoying myself, meeting all sorts of friendly divers, swapping stories as we gear up by our trucks and head out for some gorgeous diving.

And you're sitting in Charlotte, NC getting worked up over something that doesn't concern you in the least, since you have no intention of ever coming here.

Who's the one missing something?

The not so funny part is there is a degree of truth to your joke. I'm sure a few of the Bonaire crooks are reading this board on their stolen laptops and assuring each other that everything is the same and thier business will go on uninterrupted. Some others on the board, on the other hand, might not find that so funny.:depressed:

Yep, that's what they're doing, reading scubaboard, waiting for you. They have a watch list at the airport to see if your name ever pops up.:D

The island is no better or worse than hundreds of destinations when it comes to crime.

Why do you have a personal vendetta against that particular island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom