Why get the DC1200 over the DC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My DC600 stopped working and SeaLife cameras are some of the best for the money (since I am looking for a job)
Yeah, I understand 12MP vs. 10MP.

But, the DC1200 has a focus range at 4" and the DC1000 has a focus range at 2". It might not seem like much of a difference to many, but that can be the difference on a nudibranch shot or smaller macro.

So, what I am asking is why would I wait for the 1200 to come out in a couple of weeks instead of buying the 1000?

Example of what I mean on the macro side:
This was taken with my DC600 - Notice the fan tube in the upper quadrant. That should give perspective on how small the crab is

hermit0911281.jpg

So, I am looking for a reason to pick the DC1200 over the DC1000. Perhaps Joe can answer the question

Both cameras work nicely in the Macro modes but yes the difference of 2" may make the difference....to some. I for one of been promtoing stepping back a little when shooting macro for two reasons 1) allows for a little better lighting control as you have more room to work with the flash and 2) depth of field.

If you like to get right ontop of your sibject and have good bouyancy control, then the DC1000 with it's 2" macro will be perfect.

I think that either way you go, you will be happy.

From what i have read they have better low light performance and the housings handle depth better....

Attachments

• Vanautu 2009.jpg
    Vanautu 2009.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 170
Actually the biggest difference between the two is in the design and function of the housing. Both have good light gathering and both are good to 200ft.
The DC1200 has only 5 large piano key buttons that access all the menus and features. A simpler easier to use design, even with dive gloves on.

Setup is a breeeze and getting to the funtions of the camera through the piano keys is simple and easy. The underwater modes available allows setting up for different photo situations. Wide angle shots can be made by adding the optional lens. And adding a strobe is simple to attach if you need lighting.

Back
Top Bottom