Unsupervised, unlimited diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can dive your pants off in Curacao also, just like Bonaire and IMHO, the shore entries are a lot easier than in Bonaire.

You provide the rental car, we provide tanks and equipment.

BUT none of the dive ops (to the best of my knowledge) will supply tanks to solo divers.

Happy planning :)
Suzy

The Dive Bus - WELCOME

... then it's not unsupervised ... and it's not like Bonaire.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last November on the Cayman Agressor we enjoyed great dive briefs but no heavy-handed supervision once everyone was checked out in the water. Most days you'll be diving as much as your computer will allow.

I'm surprised nobody's thought to mention Southern California! You can do all the shore diving you want here, and there are plenty of dive ops close to shore diving sites where you can rent gear and get fills. There are also many fantastic dive boats that will take you out to the Channel Islands and other aweseome diving locations (e.g. Farnsworth Banks, the oil rigs) that not only allow you to dive without a babysitting DM - they expect you to! Unless you bring your own DM, you will be on your own. Most boats do have gate times, but they are generally more than long enough for you to breathe out your tank on each dive.

Yeah, granted it's not exactly warm-water coral reef diving out here, but we have our own special gifts - namely, kelp! Kelp diving is an experience that should not be missed.

Around the Christmas holidays is a great time for SoCal diving. The conditions are often excellent, the water is a reasonable temp, and it's right in the heart of lobster season - you can go bug hunting!

There are fantastic hotels and resorts (not dive-related, but just lovely places) in Malibu, Laguna Beach, and San Diego, all within close driving distance from top-notch shore dive sites and dive boats.

No I don't work for the California Bureau of Tourism - I'm just a fan of our local diving - and grateful that we get to do all the diving we want without having to be led by the nose by babysitting DMs! :D

Same here in Puget Sound, LeeAnne ... but I got the impression the OP wasn't thinking cold water diving at Christmas time. Conditions along the US west coast can be rather challenging that time of year. Heck, they can be challenging this time of year ... I just got back from three days of diving at San Miguel and Santa Cruz islands, and currents were kicking. Some dives we could barely make headway with scooters ... and one dive we didn't bring them we ended up having to get picked up by the chase boat. The reefs are incredible, but that's not some folks' idea of a good time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just got back from Curacao - amazing diving! We did 4 boat dives, and 2 unguided night shore dives. When we go back we will do all shore diving - the island has a lot of shore sites - all you need to do is rent tanks and know where to go!

Back
Top Bottom